BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
have i been driving a sick car for 2 yrs without knowing it...
Probably happens a lot more than we think. Thing is, these 2.5-3.0 diesel engines have a lot of ressources and are so enjoyable that they can somehow make up for minor issues such as leaking air, partially blocked DPF (until the DME restricts power at least) etc and keep a decent power output so that the driver still feels comfortable on the road. One day, after some work done on the AC compressor and belt, the turbo hose was put back in place and it made a huge difference, which made me realize the intercooler-to-EGR hose was actually dead. But I simply got used to it and the car still drove "fine" (I did notice higher fuel comsumption).

Have you already installed the exhaust pressure sensor ? As for the glow plug controller, check if it isn't covered in oil.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hi etherealedge97, how you doing...
Not bad day, from yesterday ( bad hail & thunder).
Even managed to wash me car (bringing her back to her glory..)
Yes, I changed the exhaust pressure sensor today, (took me no word of lie ..1 - 2 minutes). Plugged the car in to reset. & I took the car out to come home, so hopefully now it stays green.. got a glow plug control box, cheapest I could find is 100euro including vat. Not changed it tho. Yes I will check it's not in oil. If it is you think I'd be able to just clean it or you think it's shorted out of some sort.

Going to clean her now, I lost a bit of respect for the car beens the issues .. I live in Ireland & if I get a English plated car we have to vrt it, so had the customs all over me for the 1st 2 months of getting me car. Then the air suspension failed on me, then the dpf, the again dpf. O before the dpf went, I had a car hit my passenger door & the investigators said don't worry, the insurance company give me the bill for the accident. So I think Ive had my share now with problems with the car.
Time to start enjoying it, & I have to stay I'm impressed....good old 6 clyinders of BMW power.

IL be back soon with an update before & after glow plug change.

Talk to you later mate.

Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hi...all.
I went out after I got home / after I turned off the engine for 30minutes.
&...nothing, no EML, nothing, all power.
I do get glow plug 1-2-5 on tho, but it's not putting engine management light on.

I will change them with in 2weeks, so IL be back.

I hope this post or problem helps someone out there. I do love the BMW for some reason, think it's the dash how it's off centre to the driver, so the passenger finds it difficult to do heating or control's, or the seats, plus they are or at least the jobs I did on my E39 seemed straight forward even tho everything is big bolts & tight.

Thanks all for your help /info.
I'll be back 1 last time after the g/p's change. & hope it be my last..(on this problem post).

Drive safe, keep safe.

Thanks..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
hi all.
happy easter...hope not over dosed on chocolate. lol,

its been a little while, i ordered the g/plugs last week, but they didnt arrive into the shop, so i had to re order again,

so this weekend (easter saturday) off with the inlet. out with the old & in with the new (glow plugs 1 2 & 5, stated by my diagnostic unit & the guy that told me about the dpf block back at the beginin).
i also had a glow plug control box. (this i did not want to change..looked a real pain in ass) dad said if he puts the g/plugs across a old battery in the garage & they glow instantly & all the way up then there ok & the box is at fault.
so we did ... glow plugs instant white hot all the way.
took about an hr with inlet off to change.

all back together.
i plugged in my diagnostic unit in & reset the codes.
we drove home (40mins at top 55mph) but i had to stop off for about 10 - 15 minutes. on resatart of car (still plugged into my diagnostic unit) the dash went ding, i read the code /s... i think on the opening post #1 the codes i had were....

p0401..
4212 dde glow plug clinder 1
4222 dde glow plug clinder 2
4252 dde glow plug clinder 5
4501 exhuarst gas recirculation control deviation
480a dde particulate filter
481a dde particulate filter

when i scanned & read the codes, all i had ... still got, is the
4501 exhaust gas recirculation control deviation.

all the other are gone. (touch wood ..tapping my head.. they stay gone)

this 4501 code.... any ideas please...?

is it my egr cooler iits-self is dead. (i dont mean the thermostate.)

thanks all for your help.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
hi...
sorry i meant to also say ...

if i get in the car now & reset the code, & drive, the car as .. only way i can explain is.. is it seems easier to get to the speeds,.
with the code cleared theres no faults. will my dpf still be able to do a regen.?

how do i no if a regen is takning place.?

ive noticed .. say when im driving at 60mph / just under the 2 tho revs in 6 manual gear. ive noticed a strange like... loss of power but looked at my speed / rev & no difference,this doesnt last long & not all the time, every say...3 -4 drives at the said 60 mph, looked at my fuel useage gauge & im not sure if it went from 50+ to the 50 below. is this a regen.?
my last car was the 98 e39 with no dpf no nothing no problems.

when i turn off & restart the next day the code returns.

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
hi all, mornin....

the egr cooler... would you trust 1 from ebay.?

i looked on a few online car shops i get my parts from & the prices are fairly up there.. on ebay there bassicaly a pinch of the price.
they say brand new... do they mean brand new or refurbed.? but if its beenn refurbed or cleaned out then then cant say brand new...yes....???

you folk no any other place with good price.?

also...if i take mine off & leave it in some dpf cleaning liquid or acid (like nitra mors) would this clean the guts out of it.?

how do these egr coolers brake or get damaged.?
i no they can block, as when we seen mine after taking off the egr valve, we unbolted cooler from the exhaust & tried to put a airline from the exhaust side of the cooler & blow any crap out. we also got a cable tie & tried to free off the crap whille blowing with the airline.
we freed it a bit so when you put a ball of cotton wool on the egr side of the cooler & blow from the exhaust side the cotton wool ...dont fly off but it does fall off.
i understand - ish now the cooler is like a rad inside it as fins.

im really in 2 minds to get this 1.

by the time i get my car perfect ,magnetic propulsion veichles will be out...lol.

thanks all

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have no idea what are the symptoms of a dead EGR cooler. 4501 is generally caused by a faulty EGR operation, so check the little hoses going to and from the EGR actuator. And the actuator itself. If possible check your EGR valve too, to see if it can hold air when sucking it, that's what keeps the valve opened.

Have you put your hand around the EGR valve to spot any air leak ? I had an issue similar to this a week ago, long story short, I had a boost issue, as well as a noticeable hissing sound. Putting my hand around the inlet manifold I could feel air heavily leaking. After further inspection I noticed something had disappeared, turned out the EGR cooler clamp (bridging and sealing the pipe to EGR valve) had popped off.

Part wasn't available at the stealership so I visited a junkyard in hope to find one, to no avail, so I picked up a Volkswagen-made one (on an Audi :D). Which actually looks and feels a lot more viable than the ridiculous BMW one.

I know what you feel, sometimes you wonder if you'll ever get to the end of this. Personally since last year i've been dealing with various leaks (oil and coolant), everytime I solve an issue, another one pops up (which is half surprising). First in december 2019, engine oil radiator (absolute PITA), then in 2020 coolant hose and expansion tank, 2021 valve cover gasket (long overdue though) and now, the EGR thermostat (which had been already replaced in 2016). And those are only the leaks issue, on top of that I now have a faulty oil level sensor (which popped too late to be replaced before I serviced my car) and a cracked rim. Bikes have their advantage :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
how you doing etherealedge97..

the egr valve its self was re-newed earlier in this issue.
this weekend just gone, the i got glow plugs (few days late, but got them) these were changed, inlet man' off.

controler as well.
the little pipes looked ok,
i did the inlet strip down / unbolting, ready for lift off.
dad did the egr removal so inlet comes away.

as he did, he said the pipe coming from the cooler to the valve looks crappy, clean it out....
but never enough time.
so im thinkin, if the pipe is crappy again, then theres a problem with the cooler & the cooler must be crappy / damaged inside (not the thermostate. this was changed about 2yr ish ago...less., not more.)

i think the only sesnors that are to be re-newed (if i go that way) are the 02 sensor on the exhaust / dpf. & the m.a.p sensor on the top-ish of the inlet.
unless you / folk say theres more to consider.

ive just been out side given the car a nice vac inside, nice n clean now, i always feel as if the car drives better when clean ..lol...
i opened the bonnet, vacced any cobwebs / leaves /+ , & i checked me water level..seems ok, cant do the oil as im on a hill to much to give a decent read on the stick. but idrive says it at very slightly below max, which i prefer all my others cars to be at.

il have a flick around about this actulator thing you say of etherealedge97 . yeah theres always something tho what...
how comes the clamp broke.?

thanks for the info & reply.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
hi all, again.

can i ask you if you could check this part out for us please & tell us the difference.

part 1 in the picture, both are coolers, both different oem number, but look the same part in a picture.

something im missing.?

thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
how comes the clamp broke.?
The very first time I worked on the car I remember unscrewing the jubilee clip a little too wide, it must have weakened the "teeth" inside it. I never cared to replace that part thinking that a simple clamp like that wouldn't hold the exhaust gases, but it did. Now I want to replace the other one.

Regarding your EGR cooler part number, don't sweat it. Just order the one matching your transmission (7 790 065 if manual, 7 794 245 if auto). It may look identical but there must be some internal differences that justify a different part number.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
evening etherealedge97
tell you the truth, i dont recall if we opened the clamp from the cooler pipe to the valve completely or just enough to seperate the 2.

the cooler, i ordered the 065 manual.
after me posting the last reply about the difference between the 2, i noticed that they were marked as manual & auto.
but ye must be something to do with the fins inside...dont no....& theres a nice few quid in the difference.

hopefully it be here soon.

talk to you later.

thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
hi all, hope your weekend is going well.

no real update yet, still have the 4501 code, but no others (thank god...) i do get ding on the dash nearly every day.. tire pressure low, window wash low, side light, reversing light. yeah all nothings..but this ding ..flip.
still waiting on my cooler to arrive. be this friday coming i hope or before.

any hows. i wanted to ask you,..what you think of the crank case breather.

would this be any suspected dead part in my issue.?

dont ask me were / how ive come to ask this.

whats your view on that, please.

thanks all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
hi both / all.
thanks for the reply.
in post #22 ... 3rd picture.
i brought that few weeks ago..thought we changed that... thats the part you both mean, yes.?

got the egr valve, & a back pressure sensor & the back pressure sensor was the wrong 1 & had to get the correct 1.

could of swore we changed it.
il have to give me dad a buz & see whats on the rack were i/ we put our new parts or the bin area were we put the old.

thanks both.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The one mentionned in post 22 controls the swirl flaps.

EGR pc is part number 11747796634 RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

Swirl flaps pressure converter has the input and ouput shaped in "L".
EGR pressure converter has the input and ouput on the same side.

There's a small filter inside that sometimes gets clogged. It may also have failed electrically. If possible borrow one before replacing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
hi etherealedge97.
thanks for the info' mate.
i didnt no that. id still been none of the wiser till that link you sent. thanks.

i had a quick look, il take more in few sec's.

a filter u say...its probably best just to change the unit other than trying to clean it. ?

be impossible for me to borrow 1, got no friends ... lol.
sorry.. i dont no anybody thats bmw.

thanks a lot tho for that above etherealedge97.

thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
hi again etherealedge97 / all

just looked at both of the parts side by side,
so 1 controls only the inlet manifold. & anther 1 controls only the egr valve.

i got the inlet manifold 1.

is the egr 1 easy to get at to swap out.

thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
hi again.

& the egr vac controller.. is it possible to remove / replace with inlet manifold still on.?

it was only off last weekend to do glow plugs & glow plug controller.
i read that someone as changed the g/p controller with inlet manifold still on & working from underneath, no thanks to that...

but surely the egr vac controller is possible.?

engine mounts. redballs1?
if i ear engine mounts. i think of the things that like bolt to the engine - bolt to the chassis , to hold the engine in place

thanks again...

41 - 60 of 64 Posts