BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
hope your all well.

Was driving to work yesturday (25mile trip there & 25 back home)

half way there my dash went ping & a yellow picture came on & a discription. (cant recall now off top of the head what they are,).
I got to work & was hoping all was ok for the return home, but no.
I thought beens the weather is being -2 -3 c thought it may be ok when warm. ,no.

I plugged my autel maxidiag md805 into the car today, & left it connected while we went the tesco (15 mile out & 15 back)

It gave me only 1 code..(thank god..)
Code ... P0401 exhaust gas recicrulation flow insufficient detected

This is recorded in the freeze frame.

On this freeze frame report, it also gives me figures on other headings...

DTC = P0401
CALCULATED LOAD VALUE = 36.9 %
ENGINE COOLANT TEMP'' = 97 ''F
INTAKE MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE = 14.9 psi
VSS = 0 mph
INTAKE AIR TEMP'' =81 ''F
AIR FLOW RATE FROM MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR = 0.04 lb/s

i cant recall now, if i did this freeze frame test after i got to tesco or half way as i had to stop for fuel.

Does the above code mean my DPF is now fecked .... again.?

When i say again, about 1year & half, (18months) ago -ish, my dpf was blocked & was told how bad by the guy telling me the %.
We removed it & had it profesionally cleaned. All put back together.

Back in november just gone i had my NCT (im in ireland) in the Uk you'l call it MOT.
& the emission test came back as basically 0.01
So to me it looks like i map be ok with my dpf (..im hoping...please say yes im ok).

I have live data on the same test if this is a help to any one that can help me with the fix..please.?

Also can any one tell us if my other readings in freeze frame are good or bad (obviously they must be bad to report a Code)

thanks all. hope you can help me please.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got a similar code on my Mondeo when I blanked off the EGR.

If you are handy with spanners maybe take the EGR off and check for carbon build up.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi flynn50, how you doing.

ive had the car about 2 n half years, shortly after buying it, i/we (my dad) checked it all out, ( jacked it up & checked all the ball joints / knuckles,torsion bars, back n front, fluids,)
while we was looking over the engine bay (dad was just looking & comparing it with his 3.2.. 320d merc e 2007.) we seen a bit of wet ness on the dip stick side.

we took top cover off but still counldnt really see were the wet ness was / coming from with the inlet manifold there.

so dad said remove the inlet & see. if you do it may be good idea to change the glow plugs (if keeping the car for few years).
so i got 6 new bosch (think they were) glow plugs. & new rubbers / gaskets for the inlet.

while that was off we took off the egr. the inlet & egr was cleaned with few cans of egr cleaner spray, all checked & ok, back on. couldnt find or sort out the wet ness. but it as not got any worse. no change really.

the egr cant really build up that much can it in that time,.?

like i said in post #1 the dpf was blocked & sorted out about 1 n half year ago, ( & its all linked,,yes..?? )

could my m a f sensor be dead.?

ive seen / ive looked over the internet & seen people say maf sensor & pipe / egr coked up.

thanks for the reply flynn50.

thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No problem. I don't profess to be any sort of expert and can only relate my experience.

The EGR would start to gum up as soon as the engine is run. I don't know if it could have become blocked in 2 1/2 years but it may have just failed.
Similarly it could be an issue with the electrical signal from the EGR, perhaps a dodgy connector.

In my opinion the error code would seem to indicate it is one or the other.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, thanks flynn50.

yes, im no expert, but with the bits of work ive helped my dad with ive inputted it into help for others.
If inputted is a word..lol..

im just looking over maf sensor problems & about maf's. & come to think of it ive noticed a small like power surge,.

i mean like nothing / no change on rev or mph clock, & nothing like going from slow to fast. but a slight increase only a split second thing, so id just thought it was me, as i do drive light on the go pedal. (ask all my friends / family..lol ).

im thinking of getting a replacement m a f sensor.from autodoc as these seem the cheapest place to go.
how long it will take for me to get it with postage on go slow from uk & with this covid going around is anyone's guess.

may order 1 & at same time get some maf cleaner & when i go to the parents ask dad if he'l give me hand to clean it my 1 & if he'l help me with egr removal & clean.

does the egr have a sensor on it.?

thanks flynn50

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool, thanks flynn50.

yes, im no expert, but with the bits of work ive helped my dad with ive inputted it into help for others.
If inputted is a word..lol..

im just looking over maf sensor problems & about maf's. & come to think of it ive noticed a small like power surge,.

i mean like nothing / no change on rev or mph clock, & nothing like going from slow to fast. but a slight increase only a split second thing, so id just thought it was me, as i do drive light on the go pedal. (ask all my friends / family..lol ).

im thinking of getting a replacement m a f sensor.from autodoc as these seem the cheapest place to go.
how long it will take for me to get it with postage on go slow from uk & with this covid going around is anyone's guess.

may order 1 & at same time get some maf cleaner & when i go to the parents ask dad if he'l give me hand to clean it my 1 & if he'l help me with egr removal & clean.

does the egr have a sensor on it.?

thanks flynn50

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi all,
what is the EGR control solenoid .?
Is this the egr valve with a big hose going to it.?

what is a dpfe sensor.?

also,
could a exhaust gas temperature sensor be a problem fault for me.?
is a egr temperature sensor, the same as the above....exhaust temperature sensor.?

what size diameter is the egr rubber little pipe.? (incase when i / we go cleaning egr we find a split or easier to replace than clean).

thanks you all.
sorry to sound like a thicko asking the above.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
you mean vac pipe,,if so they are 3.5 mm,,this is a common prob,best to replace all of them,,be careful,get stanley kbife to cut each pipe off nipples,remove/replace one at a time so you can remember where they go, dpf sensor is the sensor which reads dpf pressure etc,ive replaced one on a 335d when it went bad,pig of a job,i didnt do it but i watched the garage do it

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Morning Rasa golf, cold again out. -4 on dash (Limerick).

Is that the little pipe connected to the egr init...
Replace all of them... Thought there is just 1. Pulls off push's on easily enough. Yes for the sack of a few pennies I'd replace the pipe I'd say ( can't be to dear, I know some of the pipes can be tho).

The dpfe sensor is the 1 you say. Of in the last part of your reply.?
This is on the dpf itself init, is it a 16 mm or 22 mm open ended spanner & fairly tight.?
(I know there's 2 sensors on it, when I had me dpf cleaned (as I say above) I asked the guys that did it should I replace / renew the sensors they said no no need).

I got onto autodoc last night & ask them if 1 or 2 parts that I found for my car were compatible. Reply is yes..

I asked about the Map & Mad sensor & the exhaust gas temperature sensor.
So I may go along n replace these.

It's just I'm Ireland parts in UK. With the added tax with Brexit & post delay. I may use the German site.

Thanks for reply Rasa golf. Take it easy out there mate.

Any more help ideas appreciated

Thanks all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi all good evening...
can i ask for a quick thing please..

i was just about to order a exhaust gas temperature sensor..

but i notice on the site im getting it off, it ask post or in front of catalist.

which 1 would be my best choice for my issue.?

advise please.

thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi snowblind, how you doing mate.?

good morning.....

thanks for the heads up. (i haven't ordered any parts yet, waited a little incase 1 of you's relpiied to us).

i just looked over the link you sent me,(above).

there's 4 il call sensors going to the dpf, but from what i see ....
1 is temperature s'..

3 is oxygen s'..

5 is pressure s'..

8 is temperature s'..

would my best opinion be get the number 8 on the diagram / link. ?
this to me looks like the one before , & sends gas back to the egr (im only guessing at that now,) but if i say changed number 1 in the diagram / link, then that telling the dpf that its at a temperature to regenerate ...or something like that. im no brain just my way of looking at it.

( the oxygen sensor is to help in re burn or in the regen'' process .????
the pressure sensor is to help stablize pressure so it can be forced back to egr &or out of tail end.??? ), not putting myself down or anything, total brain dead, but im probably wrong...lol...

my dad had a audi 4.. 1.9td.. lost power completely, black smoke, he tried this look at that, cleaned this / that.
i looked at a code the above diagnostic unit gave us & part of the fix (that was way down on the list) said m a f sensor. but he said no way.
i got him 1 (new, think it was 15 quid), 5 minutes change, new car, he loved it. was correct .. happy as larry i was...
sorry for rant about how cleaver i am....lol... sorry i cant do smilie face on here...

thanks a lot.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi folks..
back again.

on the link here ... i know its for m5 .

but it shows the egr exhuast control valve, #1 in the picture.

could that be at fault.?

i understand any 1 or more parts can / could be at fault. but whats your take on it.?
thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how you doing.?

can i ask.. what is this egr temperature sensor & its location, please.

i cant find anything. except the thermostat (the black thing with a bleed screw on top).
& that was change, back when i had the dpf fault codes the other year...im 99,9% sure of.

thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
me again...
i just ordered a few parts.

i like autodoc like ive i said in other place's & to folk offline.

but at the moment i dont want to risk anything with postal delay with covid, or a hike in price when they get to my physical door with added vat or tax due to brexit.

so ive looked online for an ireland location site, misterauto was the cheapest by far. a french based company but as i understand an outlet in ireland. (hope im allowed to say this about what shops im using)
il go back to the autodoc tho in the future.

the parts i ordered are...

1 maf sensor
2 exhaust temperature sensors. ( parts #1 & #8 in the post #11 by snowblind )

hope these fix me.

along with a egr clean,

replacement 3.5mm vac pipe (thanks to rasa golf . above)

if any of you can throw anything else at me,... im here.

i will return.. (as you can guess, sorry still cant do smile face's, next thing to learn.) .

keep safe you lot, drive safe also please.

thanks all for the input....
laters.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi all ,good afternoon..

how you doing?
im back (as i said ...lol..)

as you see above the parts i got. (maf sensor, exhurst temp' sensors)
these was changed saturday just. including a oil / filter change. maxol 5 / 30.

we checked the egr.... the little vac pipe going to it was taken off, we put a piece onto the egr that we could suck / blow into the egr, so making us the pump. (no enigne on.. )
so with the big pipe on the front of the egr we removed & it was fairly clean, (so my dad said, i thought it was very clean).

with this vac pipe as i say above, while i was sucking / blowing on the vac pipe, dad was looking in the egr & watch the thing open & close.(cant recall what he said he was watching, i had a look while he did the suck blow, but i couldnt see anything...lol.. i wear specs..lol...).
but as i was sucking / blowing, he sprayed a bit of egr cleaner at the thing he was seeing open / close & a bit of dirt came out, nothing to write home about he said.

as i was sucking on the pipe, i put my tongue on the pipe & the pipe held my tongue ( to help explain what i mean..if you get a pipe & block 1 end & suck the other & put your tongue on the end your sucking it will hold your tongue, it theres a split in the pipe..your tongue wont hold to it).

we put all back together & just before lowering the bonnet dad is looking over it. bassically were saying hope thats it.

on way home ding the dash came on, as i had the diagnostic unit plugged in when i left the garage / parents, i read the freeze frame data & the P0401 is still there / came back on.

im / were still thinking a sensor of some sort.
lambda ... exhurst pressure sensor.... vacuum pump.... split in the vacuum pump pipe (3.5mm as rasa golf said)....
these few parts above is my thinking as well as my dad,

as he was looking he pointed at another electrical thing... sensor looking thing, but i cant find anything on the internet as a replacement (new part only)..
the part in the picture is number 10 / 9 ... ( i got from another site https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/134442-anybody-had-a-carbon-clean-on-e60-d/ )

can any one say or point me at some info on this please.?
all i get / find is the rubber hose top & bottom.

also any other help on my p0401 code. please ?

i dont want to delete anything, just want to replace a broken part & drive away.

is the lambda a suspect.? you seen the price of them... lol...

thanks all.
i have seen many people asking for help & they have not replied with a problem fixed or anything to help others.
i will be back.

thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hi ya snowblind,
why would you be discontecting the maf .?

this part was replaced with new part,.. (why.. as i said the car had this like split second exceleration or i thought it did or was it me as i do drive with a light foot). & i havent drove a distance (25mile 1way trip yet at a consent 60mph) yet to see if that split second as gone away.

thanks snowblind

1 - 20 of 64 Posts