BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
hi all.
this air intake temp' sensor (number in the my last post #20) to me it looks like it just twist & turns - pulls out.
am i correct.?
also can this sensor be cleaned with any spray .?
when / if i take this out, what should it be like (clean...) - no oil - dust - nothing.?

thanks..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
hi all, good evening..

i got no real update as yet.
i got a new peirburg egr valve ,

a new intake temperature sensor

a new egr control valve

on the below link

its number 1 in the diagram.

is this part easy find & replace.?

i spoke to the guy that did my dpf clean, the other day & he said it more than likely my egr is playing up.
If the control valve is the issue it would give a diagnostic code of p0403 ... yes.?

all the parts in the pictures above are the exact items i have,

thanks all

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
hi all,
how you's doing.?

so changed the egr valve,. well,
as we took it off, we noticed on the connection side to the cooler pipe, the pipe was looking dirt, so we took off the cooler pipe from the cooler to the valve & egr sprayed it & cleaned it out..

is it possible to go a little further & remove the cooler itself & clean that out.?
or can it be done on the car & just disconnect the pipe going to the valve.?

thanks all.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I dunno how it is on an E61, but on my 530d E60 the intercooler is quite easy to remove, and I think it's a better option than leaving it on the car (easier to dry it properly too).

Sorry if you answered that already but have you already received your new air intake sensor and replaced it ? Also yes, it is mostly a matter of turning and pulling it out, though mine was a bit of a PITA to remove. There was quite a lot of carbon build up on it, this sensor is supposed to be as clean as possible.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi ya mate, how you doing..

Yes changed the intake sensor.
Was quite crappy looking, fairly easy- ish to change.
I might just get one the guys to plug it into his pro diagnostic thing,.
Read how blocked or not the dpf is. & If it is & got to cleaned then IL see if the other guy that cleans it will do my cooler at same time.
Dunno yet tho. May just remove it & try me self. But still the dpf light will probably show.
Thanks for input mate. Have a good weekend.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ah yes, you can read the DPF values with ISTA, using a K+D CAN cable, they come very cheap on Ebay. ISTA itself is a little annoying to install but once it's done, you realize it's worth it :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
How you doing..
The guy said Monday plug it in.
Still waiting on the other guy (can't get hold of him yet) to see if he can take it (dpf) if it needs to be done along with the cooler.

I have one of the cables (think it was snowblind , 1 of the guys around here somewhere , that said about them,) so got a 2nd cheap laptop ( all clean not any knock off ) & tried to install the cable but took me ages & couldn't do it, so it's still there somewhere. When I checked it out what I was doing wrong I found out (I think) that I didn't turn off the anti virus or sercuity thing on the laptop.

But I use autel maxidiag md80, it decent but I don't really no how to read it, like vss = vehicle speed sensor, lol... I'm getting there tho lol....

If I get a print out & load it on here would you or someone be able to tell me what the abbreviations mean.
There's freeze frame or live data.

Another thing while I'm thinking of it.
If dpf is ok, but cooler I do want to clean.
Could I get a few cans of egr cleaner spray & empty them into a bowl & leave the cooler in there over night.?
You think the egr cleaner spray would be strong enough.?

Thanks etherealedge97 / all.

·
Registered
167 Posts

I think it's the same for the E61 really. I did mine with water and soap and gave it a good sunbath for a few hours.

Honestly I wouldn't be able to help you with the freeze frames, I only know about INPA and ISTA-d, and it's been a while since i've used them.

IMO if you still get an error code after cleaning the DPF then there must be some sensor throwing wrong signals somewhere, or an air leak. I don't think DPFs die so easily, in 2017 I gave mine a thorough cleaning (original part from 2004) and to this day it's still running perfectly, passed MOT last month successfully, not a single exhaust gas-related fail. There are a bunch of people here too who can testify that their DPF is still on and running good after 200k miles.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Cool thanks for the reassurance about dpf, yes I think there's a sensor not doing bits job, but I'm not getting nothing on my diagnostic unit, IL see what msal (polish guy in kilkee , county Clare ..If any of you in Ireland & need injector / pumps / diagnostic doing. Ive had good words said from very good sauces about him).

I thought the cooler was going to the egr valve direct from the exhaust manifold. & It's water cooled. I was going to remove & clean out that, as last week we changed the valve & noticed the cooler was crappy looking.
We did take it off the manifold a little way & managed to put a small pipe in it a little way & blow air with the compressor & if you put your hand over the part that goes to the valve you couldn't feel any thing. So we tried for a hour or so to clear it & we did but not all, so I'd like to get a new 1 but you seen the cost.. so if I can get it cleaned out.

Like I said If dpf is ok, IL ask dad to help me remove the cooler & egr spray the nuts off it, I do have a heat gun to blow a bit of heat in it to help it dry a bit quicker for me to take the car back.
My car is the 09 LCI, around 300 k kilometres, had it 2 yes got it with 220 on I think it was.. love my car, but compared to my old 98 E39 2.5 basic nothing on that was a car, to much to tax...what a fool I was ..lol...

Thanks mate, hope your weekend is going good.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
hi all,
an update.
got car plugged in to a pro' garage system (dont no what it is, i know its a bosch unit).
the guy said ... dpf is blocked to highest gills. (he did say the amount, thnk it was something x times past its max at high end engine out put).
so instantly put car in garage & striped it out (gave it to the guy that plugged it in, use his people, 280 euro. )

Also he said glow plugs 1 ..2 ..5 are no good.

i asked him why dpf is full... he said few reason.
1 ... blar blar blar (he was explaining ) & basically driver error.. i need to put the revs up every week or so (im only doing 2 ,,, just under the 2 ... & if i over take or in my mind boot the car im doing 2 & 1/2 max) he laughs .. no good, you need a 1 .0 petrol car he said.

2.. when you had dpf cleaned out last time. .they leave liquid in & dpf ..was wrapped in cling film..? i said yes.... he said bad way / not the best way off doing the clean. & also did you change pressure sensor .? ..again i said no... he says theres 1/2 your problem as well. the sensor was throwing the wrong signals to the car after you put clean dpf on & the dpf did not know what it was doing as the senor readings are up down up ....

change glow plugs 1 2 & 5. clean dpf . change (new) pressure sesor . & you car be like new .. & drive it. the car is germany made for auto barns at high speeds, putting the revs up wont hurt it every so often.

you know what....i had fault code for g/ps 1 2 & 5. & also dpf. on a scan part of my autel diagnostic unit, but i thought freeze frame would / was the correct part to read which gave me code p0401 egr ... how wrong was i.... but its all linked, not sure if my autel diagnostic md 802 tells me dpf pressure or how full it is, so if it goes in the very far distant future (hope not) then il know to look at it 1st.

thanks all, when i done job, il update. if any1 as any input or there view...i listen.

thanks......

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi all. Morning...
I'm off work till I get my car (no buses no trains no taxi were I live) so this is my morning time ..lol...
But anyhow, I was thinking....ye laugh again..
A dpf will only regen without any engine man light on dash.
Im going by memory now....on my dash (think it's just slightly above the milage read) is a little triangle, on the right hand side above the milage.
When I go into my idrive & see if my brakes ..oil.. next service.. that part of the system, it says all good on everything & the milage when it needs to be done.
I do have tho the brake fluid over due date & it's in red.
Is that little triangle engine man light.?
I don't think it is, EML is a square box with a little line on basically the top. But would triangle stop the car from regen.

Thanks you lot. Nearly lunch time...lol...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Cool. Thanks etherealedge97.
Yes I do reset the Oli when I do it. But I never changed brake oil in any my cars & the 525 E39 basic run of the mill car I had for 12 yrs or so.
I might change, I thought of just sucking out the fluid in the resovour & refilling with we fluid but my dad said make no real difference, old fluid in the pipes & plus you still should bleed them.
I don't know if to just reset it & nickers to it & next time it comes on change it.

Did you yourself take off / back on the dpf.?

Thanks..

·
Registered
167 Posts
My father and few fellas helped, I just watched and guided them :)

But my engine is the M57N, which has the DPF separated from the cat. converter. Makes the job a whole lot easier as the DPF is easily accessible once you lift the car on one side.

Since yours is the M57N2 then you have the 2-in-1 part (DPF and cat. together).

I had my brake fluid serviced only once in my 5 years of ownership. It was done in 2017. I'm scared to work on anything related to braking because the only time I did I had air in my system and everytime I pumped the brake the whole car was vibrating badly. So I had professionals do it for me, cheap job actually especially because I removed the cabin filter housing so they could access the fluid reservoir faster.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
how ya doing..
so that is why the other place that cleaned my dpf cut it. the cat....

it took us me & my dad think from 3.30 pm till 5.20pm, dad was on top taking out sensors & the turbo clamp & i did the below, the trays..the big plate underneath,.moved over the steering rack..split the exhaust - dpf... then the hard removing of taking the dpf out of the car. (it bassically fell out..) , last time we did it it took ages to get the dpf out ..nightmare. hope it goes back easy.

i like working with my dad, hes a good mechanic. i know you have you tube vids & folk on here given read ups on how to do's, but with a trained qualified person, i have the confidence + his my dad & we get on great. this site is good as well you know, good to ask the folks about x y z & get to learn to understand on the problem at hand & what others have done & tried.
glad to hear someone else as worked with there dad..thats my story etherealedge97

thanks mate.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
glow plug faults can stop a regen if it has been a forced/requested regen,faults have to be cleared while driving and requesting regen..and cleaning dpf is useless unless all root faults have been sorted,like faulty thermostats etc

·
Registered
167 Posts
I guess it depends of the version of the DME, because I could request a regen through ISTA even with 4 glow plugs out and and a faulty glow plug control unit.

Indeed all roots caused should be sorted before but it's never useless to clean it, at least it can buy you some time, because a clogged DPF may eventually cause catastrophic failures such as turbo gaskets going out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
hi all,
im back.

so as i said above (some were) i got the dpf off (with lot of help from my dad doing the work from above). the unit was done with heat treatment other than liquid.
got the unit back & you can just see by looking at it that its spotless clean.
put back on the car. the guy that plugged it in said that my pressure sensor was goosed, & 1 - 2 & 5 g/ps are needed change.
i need the car for work... so i plugged it into my autel md802 diagnostic read unit. cleared all / any codes (after writing them down). after this locked the car went into the parents & stayed about 30 + minutes. got back into the car / started her up drove away.
nothing .. zero.. 0 ..on the dash board. no warning lights, all green .. happy as flipping larry...

the next day, about 30 seconds after start up, ding...eml.. (increased emissions .... something on that line)
plugged it in to my autel md802, & its said again.... g/ps 1 - 2 & 5.

i reset this, (still freeze frame says p0401. but as we know egr is spotless new. cooler is free.) so im coming away from the egr / valve issue.
after i reset, nothing on the dash, the car is so responsive .. fast (very quick from 0 - .... what ever mph you say) im impressed, the car is so much better than i brought it 2 + yrs ago.

i do have to reset after the car as been turned off.
so i have a new exhuast pressure sensor (i pick up saturday)
i got 3 glow plugs i got to pick up.

my dad says if your keeping the car for few yrs it may be in your intrest to change the glow plug control box. & say a bit of effort having to remove the inlet man' again.
so yes makes a bit of sense to me...but .. & a massive strange but...

my g/p box model number is ... 12217801201

i can not find 1 online (new, not recon) anywere. they are all out of stock. & im thinking is there a problem why all the online car shops are out stock. ( i not tried kms, or otto. or main dealer).

but yes im impressed with the car, & fuel consmption seems a bit better, no funny exhuast smells. have i been driving a sick car for 2 yrs without knowing it...

while im here, can i ask,... can you tell when the car is doing dpf regen.?

also whats the the thing that i cant find my g/plug box online car shops.?

thanks all, if i dont hear from you, i will back with update after changing my sensor.

thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
hi ya snowblind, how you doing mate....

yes, autodoc, ive used them before mate. decent site, (also used misterauto, micks garage, onlineparts)
on the part im after they say that is outer stock on all of them from the cheapest to dearest.

i havent contacted them asking for a stock / due in date.

il weigh up my things... location of g/plug box, ..ease of changing it with inlet on, ..do i need to change it.. can i get 1 at my price range by x few days time.
if my g/p box is playing up...wouldn't all plugs show an issue,?
is 1 2 & 5 my firing sequence (i no on some petrol cars firing order is 1 3 4 2) but is 1 2 & 5 a order of compression.?

thanks snowblind.
talk to you's later, im going to put the xbox one on for an hr before i have to drive my very nearly amazing new car.

thanks..

21 - 40 of 64 Posts