BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi first post on this forum! i have just changed the interior lower panel on my mc thats the one around the gearshift,however once finally replaced with all switches in place and working i now find that the back light for all dials switches etc are not working??? my back numberplate is out too,the buzzer does not work to inform me that the lights are on when i open the door? i have checked all fuses in the box under the bonnet and all seem fine...any help will be great! thanks in advance...:confused

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Hi first post on this forum! i have just changed the interior lower panel on my mc thats the one around the gearshift,however once finally replaced with all switches in place and working i now find that the back light for all dials switches etc are not working??? my back numberplate is out too,the buzzer does not work to inform me that the lights are on when i open the door? i have checked all fuses in the box under the bonnet and all seem fine...any help will be great! thanks in advance...:confused
you probably blew the rheostat (located on the back of the dimmer switch/headlight pull).. a typical cause of this is the wires shorting out on the illuminated shift knob (they're not that well insulated) - and as the problems you suggest are directly after you had this trim piece off then this is where the smart money would be (there's no fuse for the rheostat BTW - so when anywhere in the circuit shorts it blows the rheostat!)..

it's an all in one piece - so you can either replace the switch.. or there's a fix where you solder 2 pins on the back together - but I can't remember which pins it is or remember where I saw the guide for this..

welcome to the forum BTW! :)

Also see this thread: http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f9/1997-e36-z3-2-8-dash-lights-buzzer-t28596/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the replie...i am begining to think that this is the only thing i can do!!! i will check the wires on the iluminated knob which i dont use as i have a Storm knob,have ordered a new switch,but i will firstly bridge the rheostat i have read RF' s fix...what i cant understand is why no fuses blown...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Thanks for the replie...i am begining to think that this is the only thing i can do!!! i will check the wires on the iluminated knob which i dont use as i have a Storm knob,have ordered a new switch,but i will firstly bridge the rheostat i have read RF' s fix...what i cant understand is why no fuses blown...
how did you get on with this kwoffa?.. all sorted? :confused

1 - 4 of 4 Posts