BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It is with great relief that I read today that the new BMW 1M has gone into production

And the best news, it's powered by a straight six turbo charged engine.:D

BODY/SUSPENSION:
High strength steel unibody with widened fenders and track
Metal roof panel (saves 35lbs over 1-series with moonroof)
Aluminum suspension from E90/E92 M3. Virtually all of the front-end components are aluminum; virtually every detail on the five-arm rear axle is made of aluminum
Weight balance of 51.7% front 48.3% rear
Weighs in at 1,495kg DIN (3,296 lbs, preliminary)

BRAKES/WHEELS:
Brakes from M3 featuring internally-vented, cross drilled cast icon discs – 14.2 inch front, 13.8 inch rear. Each disc is connected to a floating aluminum hub by cast-in stainless-steel pins which reduces the thermal loads on the discs, thus increasing their performance and service life.
Dash display brake wear indicator monitors condition of the brake linings.
M3 Competition / M3 GTS competition wheels – 19x9” with 245/35/19 tires front and 19x10” w/ 265/35/19 tires rear
Rack-and-pinion steering with hydralic power steering (Servotronic)

ENGINE/TRANSMISSION:
Free revving twin-turbocharged, all aluminum, 3.0L inline 6 cylinder engine, with direct injection
335hp @ 5900rpm
332lb-ft torque from 1500-4500rpm (with +37lb-ft overboost)
7,000 rpm redline
4.7 second 0-60mph / 4.9 second 0-100kmh
13.2 second quarter mile
155mph top speed
M Drive button actives razor sharp throttle response program
6-speed manual transmission with dry sump cooling system and 3.15:1 final drive ratio, with M gearshift knob
Upgraded flywheel for use with high torque

M DIFFERENTIAL / TRACTION CONTROL:
Variable M differential lock for optimum rear wheel drive traction
DSC traction control
MDM (M Dynamic Mode) mode allows less intervention from DSC system for more oversteer and maximum performance

AERODYNAMICS: AIR CURTAINS
Air curtains, used here for the first time in a BMW production vehicle, improve air flow around the wheel arches with the benefit of significantly reduced turbulence. This innovative aerodynamic feature consists of openings in the outer section of the lower front fascia that route high-pressure air through ducts at each front corner. The ducts are approximately 10 x 3 centimeters wide and are designed to channel air to openings at the front of each wheel arch, where it is discharged through a very narrow opening at high speed. The escaping air stream covers the side of the front wheels like a curtain, thereby reducing aerodynamically unfavorable turbulence around the rotating wheels. (Technology stems from BMW Vision Efficientdynamics).

Hope for the brand yet!;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
YES!!!!!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Absolutely love it, really refreshing to read the "straight six" part aswell :cool

....and what a fine ass she's got too :D

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sod straight six...I want V8 :D
As long as it's not some four cylinder political correctness.... The straight six has an iconic sound and delivery.... What will the owners club call their magazine if the six cylinder engine is axed?? The "half an engine with a hair drier bolted onto it," magazine??:hihi

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Absolutely love it, really refreshing to read the "straight six" part aswell :cool

So nice you said it twice....:hihi

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As long as it's not some four cylinder political correctness.... The straight six has an iconic sound and delivery.... What will the owners club call their magazine if the six cylinder engine is axed?? The "half an engine with a hair drier bolted onto it," magazine??:hihi
Although the V8, 10 and 12's are all equally nice in the sound and performance stakes.... :thumbsup Not sure that I would want to live with the day to day economy TBH...:frown

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok, I want a V10 then :hihi

·
Registered
901 Posts
There's hope for us after all then :)

I like the look of this car, especially the orange it looks beaut. :thumbsup

Not sure about the turbo though and I hope the dash is nice.

And then I hope one day I can afford something like this. :hihi

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
shame about the turbo aspect of it does one belong in an M car?..

would of preferred a bigger displacement straight 6 same as the other engines in the M range or the 350z ethos of a none turbo but a higher revving engine..

or even supercharged?

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
shame about the turbo aspect of it does one belong in an M car?..

would of preferred a bigger displacement straight 6 same as the other engines in the M range and the 350z ethos of none turbo..

or even supercharged?
I am just glad that they have kept a "big six" in the M range TBH.... Having heard and seen Vorny's 335 I am not adversed to a blower, just want it bolted to a decent motor to start with - not some EU emission friendly rubbush.:thumbsup

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
I am just glad that they have kept a "big six" in the M range TBH.... Having heard and seen Vorny's 335 I am not adversed to a blower, just want it bolted to a decent motor to start with - not some EU emission friendly rubbush.:thumbsup
im a purist and detest turbo's unfortunately but the eco brigade are gonna win the war tho in the end so big bruiser aspirated engines are out..

still its good news we shall still here the straight 6 symphony tho..

·
Registered
649 Posts
Not for me I'm afraid, if I were in the market for a M car it would have to be the last of the E46 M3's IMO a much better looking car :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts