BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm a bit unsure of how I get power to my new Xenon/HID kit, the installation manual isn't exactly helpful.

Where do these connectors go, near where the halogen bulb is placed, with those wires?

All the connections are done its just the connection to the original power supply I'm not sure of doing, the two wires coming from the HID kit for this look like this;

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those spades should fit into you existing lamp connector block..the one you plug onto the original lamp.
Thanks Neal, whereabouts/what is the lamp connector block, pardon my lack of knowledge, when it comes to common sense I have none!

I've taken this photo of my passenger side with back cover off.

And this photo is the driver side, back cover still on - looks a bit different.

Or am I looking in completely the wrong place?

Thanks again for your help so far!

Steve - course I will let you see the results, least I can do :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Neal. You're correct, the yellow and brown wires are connected at the moment. Connecting the positive red wire to the existing yellow wire, and the negative black wire to the existing brown wire did the trick :thumbsup . My kit is a 6000k kit which is the whitest and brightest, gives out the most lumens. Photos below were about 5pm so still mostly light.

Here are the finished results;

Is it worth me doing a write up? I have some more photos. I'm a bit wary of where one of the ballasts is though, as on the left hand side under the bonnet there wasn't much space anyway to mount it so its in a potentially dodgy position.

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
i've moved this into electrical :)
some pointers if i may...oem colour temp is in the 4.3-4.5 kelvin range as this gives the whitest,brightest light.
6k is as blue as you really wanna go because the human eye doesnt pick up blue that well...any higher than this and you will struggle to see where you are going at night.
i run a 6k kit and reckon it matches the std halogen luminousity,but with that funky blue tinge :)

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Agreed, I think 6000k is the best colour temp to go for as it actually gives out the most lumens and has a nice tint of blue but a subtle one.
I'll do a write up later today or over the next couple of days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.