BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm upgrading my 8 year old 318d Touring M Sport to a 2017 or 2018 4 Series GC (430i or 430d) and, as the ride in my current car is pretty hard on our terrible Glasgow roads (pot hole city!), I'm keen to find a 4GC model with a more forgiving ride.

I've been told that 18" rft is more comfortable than 19" rft - does it make that much difference? Most have 19".

I've also been told that xDrive softens the ride too. Not too many of these available.

Can anyone advise which of the two options (18" or xDrive) gives a smoother ride than standard 19" rft and no xDrive?

I'm actually looking at a 430d xDrive with 19" rft and a 430d xDrive with 18". The one with 19" is higher spec and I prefer the look of that one...but I'm not sure which of the two would drive smoother? And the two cars are 100 miles apart so hard to test drive both!

I guess if the xDrive feature makes the 19" rfts noticeably more comfortable then I'd be inclined to go for that. But if the 18" is the best way to smooth out the drive on bad roads then I'll have to think again and maybe look for a 430d + 18" alloys.

Or...maybe get the higher spec car with 19" and fit 18" alloys on??

First world problems I know but I'm hoping to make the right decision.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated (y)

Cheers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi mate the xDrive gets the SE suspension, even the M Sport so they ride a bit higher than the non xDrive. I think the suspension is quite comfortable compared the old E90/92 :) I don't think there would be much in it between the 19 and 18 inch wheels. Maybe go 19 and ditch the rft... They are the work of the devil

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate the xDrive gets the SE suspension, even the M Sport so they ride a bit higher than the non xDrive. I think the suspension is quite comfortable compared the old E90/92 :) I don't think there would be much in it between the 19 and 18 inch wheels. Maybe go 19 and ditch the rft... They are the work of the devil

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Thanks gibee. I'll try and find a 430d xDrive with 19s near Glasgow and give it a test. I'm sure it'll be more comfortable than what I've got now! I've spotted a few 430s with 18s but no xDrive. There's more choice of non xDrive 430s with 18s and I'm curious how these compare with the xDrive and 19 combo. Like you say the xDrive will probably make the most difference. Once I buy I might take your advice later on and ditch the rft :unsure:
Cheers (y)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks gibee. I'll try and find a 430d xDrive with 19s near Glasgow and give it a test. I'm sure it'll be more comfortable than what I've got now! I've spotted a few 430s with 18s but no xDrive. There's more choice of non xDrive 430s with 18s and I'm curious how these compare with the xDrive and 19 combo. Like you say the xDrive will probably make the most difference. Once I buy I might take your advice later on and ditch the rft :unsure:
Cheers (y)
My old 320d had the M-Sport suspension and the 18” alloys and had a noticeably harsher ride than my new 320d xDrive with 19s. I thought I would hate the SE springs as they would be too soft but if your honest it’s a road car not designed at all for track use so SE springs are fine!
Maybe the proper M-Sport suspension suits the 30d’s Better as they have the bigger engines so more ‘sporty’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My old 320d had the M-Sport suspension and the 18” alloys and had a noticeably harsher ride than my new 320d xDrive with 19s. I thought I would hate the SE springs as they would be too soft but if your honest it’s a road car not designed at all for track use so SE springs are fine!
Maybe the proper M-Sport suspension suits the 30d’s Better as they have the bigger engines so more ‘sporty’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers. I'll try and test drive a couple in the next few days. Tending towards 430GC with 18s or 430 xDrive with 19s. Not sure if my logic is sound but based on advice and the fact that the suitable cars are miles apart from each other it's hard to test them one after the other. Still these are only first world problems :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have RFT 19's on a 430 XDrive. Ride does not feel harsh at all, quite smooth actually. Of course sport mode hardens the dampers.

Be very careful with tyres on xdrive and a staggered width setup. You must use BMW approved tyres or you will knacker your AWD transfer case. And there's no non-RFT approved tyres.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have RFT 19's on a 430 XDrive. Ride does not feel harsh at all, quite smooth actually. Of course sport mode hardens the dampers.

Be very careful with tyres on xdrive and a staggered width setup. You must use BMW approved tyres or you will knacker your AWD transfer case. And there's no non-RFT approved tyres.
Sound advice. Thanks (y). Actually spotted a nice 430d xDrive with brand new 20s fitted. No doubt it looks fantastic but my boy racer days are behind me now... they said they'd put the original 19s back on if I was interested. Might go with that. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sound advice. Thanks (y). Actually spotted a nice 430d xDrive with brand new 20s fitted. No doubt it looks fantastic but my boy racer days are behind me now... they said they'd put the original 19s back on if I was interested. Might go with that. ;)
Yeah I have 20 non rft, not sure I'm quite boy racer I'd say more gearing on mid life crisis

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts