BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've checked out the forum for information on my problem, but didn't find anything about my issue. Right, one morning i went to start my E53 and it took about a minute( it usually starts in the first few seconds), the next morning it would no start, so I called green flag, they got there at midday, i told them it won't start, I tried it and it started first time, he connected his diagnostic reader and it showed 1,3,5 glow plugs open circuit, I asked him to check if the glow plug control unit was ok, he said it was fine, so that weekend i replaced all glow plugs, because it was early afternoon it started, I tried it early sunday morning would not start, My wife took it to the garage to connect to diagnostic machine, only fault was the glow plug control unit, so the following weekend I stripped it all down again and replaced the control unit, I took all the glow plugs out and checked they glowed when ignition was turned on, they did. I put it back together, it started but it was a warm afternoon, so I left it until 8am this morning and it won't start. I am totally stuck now, I work away 2 weeks at a time so I get limited time to look at it, and wife is stuck without a car. Can anyone point me in the right direction, it all points to the glow plug and control unit as car starts if the sun is out. Has anyone else had this?
Thanks
John

·
Super Moderator
3,724 Posts
Glow plugs has nothing to do with your problem.

Still a bit strange if there are no other codes if they were read with a reliable software.

One possibility is leaky injector causing low rail pressure at start. In this case you can start it with a squirt of brake cleaner /easy start in the intake manifold (remove boost hose to gain access) just before start or while cranking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi,
Thanks for the reply, the only code that came up is 4203 glow control unit, and before that green flag had a code that said glow plugs 1,3,5 are open circuit. I went out to the car at 3pm today and it started straight away, so if it was the injectors it would not matter about outside temperature. I will get it back to the garage to go on the diagnostic machine.

·
Super Moderator
3,724 Posts
Did you pay attention that the fuel pumps (in-tank and inline pump) work when you turn ignition to pos. 2?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuel pumps fine, as I said once the outside temperature gets higher the car starts and runs fine, as long as the engine is warm the car will start.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Can't help with your problem but i will second Clavurion's reply that it has nothing to do with the glow-plugs or controller.
I doubt it ever get's cold enough in the uk for failed plugs to stop the e53 3.0d starting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts