BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi got a 2009 X5 30d M.. it has the oil level on the dashboard Idrive..but also has a manual dipstick in.emgine bay comin from behind the engine amd bulk head..is this the dipstick for the Auto gear box..or is it another engine oil dipper.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
also,,do not rely on the i drive oil level,,sensor's can go bad,,always check dipstick on level ground,,and yeh the stick is for engine oil,,

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Always use the dipstick as the idrive will only tell you when it needs a ltr adding and to me that is a lot of oil missing.
Well something like that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the response..i did an oil change today and once it was empty..so too was the dipstick..so yes as u say my X5 30d 2009 has electronic level AND the good old manual dipstick

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Yep - there was an overlap period where they had both. My 2010 E63 has both (hence my response above) - with the oil dipstick being black, hidden at the back, and easy to mistake for an old school transmission dip stick - it's confused a few of us over the years that one!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I have a m8 who is getting on a bit and he didn't know how to check the oil.
No i-drive in the car and only according to him a dipstick for the auto-box made me laugh.
Good job he didn't do many miles and had the oil changed ever mot time as he had the car for 7 years lol.
He had had many cars as he was a driving instructor but the bmw has the dipstick a long way back i think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts