BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi does anyone have bad experience with X5 removable tow bars..im considering using it to transport my Paramotor..its a rucksack type emgine with big prop..weighs about 70kg..so it would b literally sat on the ball( with a board i made) but i have a fear of it detaching and sendin my 4k paramotor emgine down the road..does anyone have any nightmare stories??.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I've got a detatchable Tow Trust towbar on my E53 - no horror stories. Happily tows my Ifor Williams twin axle occasionally up to about 2.5 tonnes including trailor. Nose weight max spec is 150kg. Also use it for a bike carrier with 3 bikes - again no dramas. At 70kg you're well within the nose weight limit.

That said, I have heard stories of detatchables becoming detached - I guess perhaps because the mechanisms don't get looked after or kept clean, or people don't check carefully that they've actually engaged.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeh i assume.they are tested etc..and yes same as most things..if not looked after they can fail..glad t hear it mate thanks for response

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
No worries. The one on my E46 is a Westfalia detatchable and that's also been fine for the last 15 years - been used a lot with the bike rack and smaller trailers/small boat. Nose weight limit on that one is quite a lot lower though - think it might be 75kg but the towing rating for that car is also about a tonne less.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeh sounds about right mate..i think my paramotor is nearer 50 kilos..but im gonna have a good look.tomoz..cheers man

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Mine on my e53 is solid.
The only horror stories about them failing i have come across where the land rover discovery ones they had a recall on them as they came off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey mate once its snapped into place..should i b able to take the key out..coz i cant..as i click it up..the wheel releases back as it shoild..it just doesnt go bak enuff to take the key out??? is this normal

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I was going to say that while reading the key stuck problem but you answered it yourself lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts