BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new member and new owner of my first BMW I have been doing a bit of research on upgrading the music system. After reading endless posts on the aftermarket systems available I am more confused than ever! I'm not really familiar with all the technical jargon but I have deduced that my system has no DSP (not on the menu), it has satnav on a DVD player in the boot, it has TV (analogue and digital tuner)and there are Video screens on the headrests but no DVD player. It seems that I also have a radio box and TV box in the spare tyre compartment. I haven't removed the fitted unit yet but apparently it has a 40 pin connector as opposed to an older type 17 pin.
So do I assume that the header unit in the dash contains no radio tuner but does have an amplifier?
I would like to replace it with an Android unit with bluetooth, so I can connect my phone, and preferably a TF slot so I can play my MP3's. I note some models have a TF slot for built in Satnav and some boast navigation via Google Maps in the Android system. Nearly all the models I have looked at say you need to connect a 6 metre cable from the dashboard to something in the boot. Is there not a system out there that simply plugs into the current dashboard wiring, even via an adaptor, and just works without the need to rip up the carpet and thread a new cable to the boot??!! I don't think I'm thick, just not too technically minded.
A simple, laymans explanation of the current and future system would be of great help. Thank you all in advance. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
The front display is virtually just a display. Radio module with amplifiers (if basic spec without separate amp) in the trunk left bolster.

·
Registered
721 Posts
For telephone connection, you might be better off just installing a Parrott kit - the small air vent on the right hand side top of the dash makes a good mounting point for the Parrot screen that's out of the way and tidy.

I think you can AUX in to the existing unit as well which might get you round your MP3 problem - just a thought, in case the complexity of dis-entangling all of the existing stuff is more hassle than it's worth.

Another thing to bear in mind is the trip computer which I think is tied into all of the display/modules as well so gutting that for an Android unit would mean you'd either lose that or have to work out how to retain enough bits to keep it working.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts