BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the world of x5s. Had lots of 5s and 3s but new to the x5, anyway had the car a few months but rear driver airbag I think is leaking as now and then it's low after a few hours and compressor kicks in on start-up. Anyway I think the originals are only good for 100k which mines is at so I.aim to replace myself but bmw part is 350 per side. I notice a lot of oem online for sport and non sport but no idea if any good or not.
Anyone bought the Arnott ones ? Or even the cheaper replacments which are only about £80 for the pair. I know you only get what you pay for but no idea about these items.
So any advice welcome

·
Super Moderator
3,239 Posts
Hi thanks for the reply, have you used them before ?
also so you need to do any computer work re changing the height of the suspension ?
Haven't used them personally as my cars are with regular springs. This is what I've learned from other members during the years.

There should be no need for any diagnostics though it would make it a bit easier draining and filling the airbag.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed Arnott bags this summer after trying the cheaper ones that you mentioned off ebay. The cheap ones were defective right out the box. The metal clamping ring that holds the bladder to the plastic part was pressed on all crooked and was leaking air. The seller sent sent replacements that this time were leaking air around the part where the line threads in. Absolute rubbish. I opted in for the arnott bags and never had a problem since. I reckon that the design of arnott bags is superior to all others as the upper part of the bag is a lot more stout as the diameter is larger and the bladder creases and rolls over itself only in the bottom part of the bag.

a-2642-01-01_1.jpg
Note the different design of the bag

View attachment 251593
This is the oem style of bag, it rolls over on the top part too. Note the smaller diameter too.

As far as ride comfort and handling I noticed no changes whatsoever. After replacing the bags make sure to re calibrate the ride height through diagnostic equipment if the ride height is not correct. Mine had no difference in ride height, so I didn't bother. And make sure to follow the installation instructions exactly. Do not tighten the fitting, just slide the line in and that's it. It's an easy job, takes maximum of 1 hour to do both sides for a first timer. All that you need is a jack, jackstands and a 10mm wrench.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed Arnott bags this summer after trying the cheaper ones that you mentioned off ebay. The cheap ones were defective right out the box. The metal clamping ring that holds the bladder to the plastic part was pressed on all crooked and was leaking air. The seller sent sent replacements that this time were leaking air around the part where the line threads in. Absolute rubbish. I opted in for the arnott bags and never had a problem since. I reckon that the design of arnott bags is superior to all others as the upper part of the bag is a lot more stout as the diameter is larger and the bladder creases and rolls over itself only in the bottom part of the bag.

View attachment 251591
Note the different design of the bag

View attachment 251593
This is the oem style of bag, it rolls over on the top part too. Note the smaller diameter too.

As far as ride comfort and handling I noticed no changes whatsoever. After replacing the bags make sure to re calibrate the ride height through diagnostic equipment if the ride height is not correct. Mine had no difference in ride height, so I didn't bother. And make sure to follow the installation instructions exactly. Do not tighten the fitting, just slide the line in and that's it. It's an easy job, takes maximum of 1 hour to do both sides for a first timer. All that you need is a jack, jackstands and a 10mm wrench.[/QUOTE
Many thanks, will try the Arnott ones unless anyone has a good reason not to....
Ta

1 - 6 of 6 Posts