BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I posted a few weeks back regarding my X4 breaking down. Long story short it is turbo failure (s) due to carbon buildup.

the car is on 68k Miles now, I’ve only had it since October and done the last 2k Miles. The garage are paying for the turbos and labour through warranty and have also sent it to BMW for the EGR recall.

i am a bit concerned about where else there may be build up, I’ve read cars after 2009 don’t have swirlflaps? Just wondering if it’s worth me investing now if there’s any other areas worth stripping out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hi,
not sure if the valves get carbon build up on these engines but it is a big issue with the Audi performance petrol engines. In many cases they get the valves wallnut blasted. might be worth asking the mechanic doing the work to see if they can see any build up and explore having it blasted if there is an issue.
cheers
jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
not sure if the valves get carbon build up on these engines but it is a big issue with the Audi performance petrol engines. In many cases they get the valves wallnut blasted. might be worth asking the mechanic doing the work to see if they can see any build up and explore having it blasted if there is an issue.
cheers
jim

I did some digging through facebook friends and found an old who friend who is now a tech at BMW.
His advice was to just check the inlet manifold, as the EGR had been replaced that’s the only place left.

I’m looking at getting itTerracleaned and the inlet done.
the garage said they didn’t see any more evidence of carbon so don’t fancy taking it somewhere to be blasted and there not be much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts