BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
BMW X3
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2012 Xdrive 2.0d auto 116k and there’s a whining noise coming from engine when Revin should I be worried as I’ve read about timing chains need replacing
Many thanks

·
Registered
830 Posts
Try switching off the aircon and see if that makes a difference - if the aircon's low on gas, the compressor can whine and/or the pipes can resonate which sounds like a whine coming from the engine.

·
Registered
BMW X3
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I will give tht a try ... I’ve also been told the alternator could be on the way on like the bearings

thanks bud

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yep - alternator is a contender as well. Basically anything driven by the belts is the diagnostic starting point. Aircon is the easiest to isolate as you can switch it on and off. Power steering pump is next - does the whine change when you move steering wheel whilst revving. Then alternator - get someone else to rev it whilst you put your ears close to the alternator. Then water pump and tensioner pulleys.

Can't remember re your specific car - it might have electric power steering and coolant pump in which case those can be ruled out as they won't be directly proportional to revs if so.

Whine is unlikely to be timing chains - worn chains or tensioner trouble normally causes ticking/clicking/rattling/slapping at idle rather than whining at revs.

·
Registered
BMW X3
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just tried with AC off it’s still there and yes my power steering is electric. Think I’ll take the belt off the alternator 2mrw and see if it’s still whinning ..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep - alternator is a contender as well. Basically anything driven by the belts is the diagnostic starting point. Aircon is the easiest to isolate as you can switch it on and off. Power steering pump is next - does the whine change when you move steering wheel whilst revving. Then alternator - get someone else to rev it whilst you put your ears close to the alternator. Then water pump and tensioner pulleys.

Can't remember re your specific car - it might have electric power steering and coolant pump in which case those can be ruled out as they won't be directly proportional to revs if so.

Whine is unlikely to be timing chains - worn chains or tensioner trouble normally causes ticking/clicking/rattling/slapping at idle rather than whining at revs.
Spot on the timing chain noise. That's exactly what it sounds like (ticking/rattling/slapping) but is hard to recognise until someone points it out to you. Disappears when engine revved and chain under tension. Suggestions re Aircon etc are where I would start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts