BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 X3 F25 3.0d with 70000 miles on it which has an inlet manifold with multiple small areas which have melted. The manifold has been under boost pressure at the time as the material has been pushed out from the inside of the manifold. The fault manifested itself as a burning smell followed by smoke coming out of the nearside wheel arch which quickly disappeared. I'll get some photos of the old manifold later and post these later. The burning extends down into the piece that has the throttle body and the egr cooler attached to it.

The only cause I can think of is a stuck EGR valve which is pushing hot exhaust gas into the manifold under all conditions. Obviously multiple pressure faults/ mismatches recorded when the ecu was scanned due to the charge escaping from the manifold. The manifold has been replaced with one obtained off ebay and a new EGR valve fitted as well (the old one seemed fine and was not sticking at all) and all the faults cleared and all seems good now but would like to know if there is something else that should be investigated as well. The only fault I could find on the old manifold was that the flaps when operated manually with the green lever did not return to the open position as they do on the new one so maybe the actuator was at fault

·
Administrator
11,494 Posts
Thanks for this but it doesn't cover this model
Looks like it does to me :thumbsup https://www.fleeteurope.com/en/manufacturers/europe/news/bmw-recalls-324000-diesels-europe-risk-fire
he recall should start in the coming days and involves practically the entire line-up, from four-cylinder units in the 3-, 4-, 5-Series, X3, X4 and X5 built between April 2015 and September 2016, all the way through to six-cylinder engines in the same models plus the 6-Series, 7-Series, X5 and X6 produced from July 2012 till June 2015.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts