BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently needed to replace some blown globes and one was the rear reversing light. According to the manual it says consult your dealer - just to replace globe!! Tried to remove rear tailgate trim to get at globe but it was not easy. Before I ruin the trim trying to get it off does anyone have an easy solution to remove the rear trim and to replace it again? :cool

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, same problem here last week. This is what I did.

First thing you need to do is remove the screw from each of the recesses you fingers go into when you close the tailgate. Then find the 2 plastic rivets either side of the tailgate latch. Use a very small screwdriver or something similar to push the tiny centre peg into the tailgate. Once this is done, carefully pry the plastic rivet out of the tail gate, watching your paint.

Next, carefully pull the trim, I started a bottom corner, and work around the edges until it comes off.

I was worried I'd break something as it was pretty tight but it came off without any damage.

Its a right fiddle lining it up to fit back on, apart from the plastic pegs fitting into the holes, there is a small lug on each side that fits into the window surround trim.

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, you were right about it being fiddly to put back on. Trying to line up the plastic pegs, the lugs at the side, the screw holes and keep the light connected during all this is a right *#@!?. Found it was much easier to remove the two trim panels on either side of the rear window glass (they just pull out of their lugs) first then the rear trim just slots into place because you can see what is going on behind the trim to line the pegs up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts