BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2005 BMW X3 2.0D in workshop and it just refuses to start. Got fuel pressure, got cranking. I don't have a good crank signal, throwing code 4691 supply voltage 3. Also crank sensor fault code. New BMW sensor. 5V reference voltage to sensor and earth ok. No reading on oscilloscope when tested.
Got no engine speed on diagnostic for first few seconds of crank then I get one, but at this point my fuel pressure drops off. No signal to injectors , probably because of no speed signal. My question is this, has anyone had this before. Also what is voltage supply 3. ???? My local dealers dont know nor does my friends and colleagues in trade. The only hope I have is someone has had experience of it .. I suspect the ECU but would like a second opinion.

Cheers!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the fuses in the E-box. That's were crank sensor gets it's supply voltage. CLICK
Yeah, checked all feeds . All good. Losing fuel pressure when cranked for about ten seconds, when cam signal comes in. Got no engine speed signal up until this point, then cam produces engine speed signal but loses fuel pressure.Had ECU tested at ECU testing and result was no fault found. 5V ref voltage to sensor OK. No signal to injectors while pressure is good which suggests a timing issue (crank or cam). Although all fault codes point to crank a new cam sensor on order to try or at least eliminate. Because of loss of fuel pressure when crank signal used, maybe corrupt signal ??? who knows, any how I will post solution when/if we find it...
Any further advice appreciated..

·
Registered
190 Posts
Have you tested the new sensor hooked up the 'scope with a magnet or a nice chunk of iron waved in front of it (assuming these are inductive or Hall?) wouldn't be the first time a faulty sensor was supplied!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I'm having same trouble with my e90 325d 2006 .
Had a engine rebuild finished last week. Run perfect for 48 hrs then cut out and won't restart.
Came up with fault code 4691 dde power supply.
Crank sensor now replaced twice
And 1 glow plug that had gone to Earth now replaced
Still won't start and 4691 error code won't delete and error still remains.
Please help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got a 2005 BMW X3 2.0D in workshop and it just refuses to start. Got fuel pressure, got cranking. I don't have a good crank signal, throwing code 4691 supply voltage 3. Also crank sensor fault code. New BMW sensor. 5V reference voltage to sensor and earth ok. No reading on oscilloscope when tested.
Got no engine speed on diagnostic for first few seconds of crank then I get one, but at this point my fuel pressure drops off. No signal to injectors , probably because of no speed signal. My question is this, has anyone had this before. Also what is voltage supply 3. ???? My local dealers dont know nor does my friends and colleagues in trade. The only hope I have is someone has had experience of it .. I suspect the ECU but would like a second opinion.

Cheers!!!!

Hi. New here. Interesting problem. Did you find out what the problem was?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar problem a while back with my BMW X3 2.0d xdrive 2008 model with 67000km. After checking and replacing all the items you mentioned, I was left with the same senario,where by my code reader listed no faults. It also showed me that my fuel pressure was okay and my rpm signal was registering. I also noted that my engine light was not lighting up at all and my temperature gauge was constantly in the red, even though the car hadn't run for some days. So I sent the DDE/ECU in to be tested. It tested fine, but when they opened it, there was some damage. Some how the damage allowed the DDE to operate normally except when it came to firing the injectors. Surprising considering that it never registered any injector fault codes. I had a whole bunch of turbo, and airflow metre faults which cleared first time.I was told to re-check my wiring harness. Having only done continuity tests, I stripped back the insulation tape on the harness running from the DDE to the inside of the X3 and found that at some point an electrician or someone had repaired the wiring(vehicle had been in an accident) and the sleaving on some of the wiring was exposed. And some the thinner wires were touching the big red/white power wires. So I re-taped the wiring and my DDE/ECU was repaired and voila! Instant start up and with all dash lights and gauges working normally.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Something worth checking - had a similar case with my E46 BMW but that was my own fault - check the earth straps as well as the earth that runs straight from the ECU box under the bonnet to just above it - if thats not perfect you'll have endless issues.

Have you checked your voltage regulator? I know from other BMW's that if the voltage is to high the system wont allow you to start the car and it doesn't throw a code... not entirely sure how to test except maybe using a multi-meter on the alternator outputs during cranking - nothing over 14.4volts.

Just throwing some ideas around - electronics and wires kinda scare me...

·
Registered
1 Posts
X3 BMW Frustration

Hi All I have a 2005 BMW X3 2.0d cylinder head replaced after swirl flap broke bent 3 valves and broke 1 valve, (head replace not repaired) I got fuel, fuel pressure, injectors serviced by Bosch, new glow plugs, does not want to start, BUT if we spray quick start it runs for a few seconds on the quick start, we use a Launch and have no errors cannot get central locking to work perhaps this is the reason for not starting please any help is appreciated

·
Vendor
4,202 Posts
The ecu box cover wasn't left off when it was out side was it

Check if the ecu was water damaged

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991.
Dyno Dynamics rolling road.
BW autorepairs
Over 30 year repairing BMWs.
New and fully refurbished BMW/Alpina ,Ecus (DME,DDE) and Cas units.
BMW Ecu repairs.
BMW FRM repairs.
BMW remote Keys made and cut same day with or without car even if all keys lost we can supply you a key like the dealers do.
BMW key blades cut from BMW key code.
Key data fixed for non starters or when theft attempted by making key by obd.
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.
DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal of its guts or replacement.
40% of my work is repairing the problems that are caused by other tuners remap

For more info look in our section under sponsors on this forum

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. could someone help me? I have the same error on an x5 e70 too. error code 4691 power supply voltage. engine does not start. all this after replacing the engine. thank you all.

·
Vendor
4,202 Posts
If you can get the car to us we can fix it

BW chiptune

-Tuning BMWs since 1991
-Dyno Dynamics rolling road.
BW autorepairs
-Over 30 year repairing BMWs.
-New and fully refurbished BMW/Alpina ,Ecus (DME,DDE)and Cas units.
-BMW Ecu repairs.
-BMW remote Keys made and cut same day
-Key data fixed in EWS or CAS for non starters or when theft attempted.
-Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
-Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.
-DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal
-40% of my work is repairing the problems that are caused by other tuners remap

UK
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Unit 8&9
alpha industrial estate
Clayton Rd
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 1BB

or

Spain
Orihuela Costa
+34643890040
+447831103030

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Vendor
4,202 Posts
Any one solve the supply voltage 3 problem? I’ve got an x3 with the same fault

We have fixed this many times

·
Vendor
4,202 Posts
Hello. could someone help me? I have the same error on an x5 e70 too. error code 4691 power supply voltage. engine does not start. all this after replacing the engine. thank you all.

Can you get the car to us as we have fixed this problem many times before

BW chiptune

-Tuning BMWs since 1991
-Dyno Dynamics rolling road.
BW autorepairs
-Over 30 year repairing BMWs.
-New and fully refurbished BMW/Alpina ,Ecus (DME,DDE)and Cas units.
-BMW Ecu repairs.
-BMW remote Keys made and cut same day
-Key data fixed in EWS or CAS for non starters or when theft attempted.
-Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
-Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.
-DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal
-40% of my work is repairing the problems that are caused by other tuners remap

UK
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Unit 8&9
alpha industrial estate
Clayton Rd
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 1BB

or

Spain
Orihuela Costa
+34643890040
+447831103030

·
Registered
1 Posts

Cheers!!!!
Hi, I just diagnosed today oane and is not have power supply for injectors. After cranking 5 seconds is bring a fault code for the crankshaft, I believe that one must be ignore it because ECU is confusinf. Also I have permanent code 4691 supply voltage 3. I supposed 75% can be just that engine ECU.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts