BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There i have a 1996 e36 328 convertible 150k miles

I managed to spin off the road on an oily bend and damaged the front bumper a little, the grille, 2 dings on each wing and 1 on the door its not too bad but will need a re spray on each bit to make it look right again, i have protected no claims but im worried that as the car will only be worth about 2k on the market will they write it off ?

also

Do car insurance companies decide on a pay out for a write off based on what u say its worth in the beginning? or what the market value is ? would i find out the valus on Parkers for example ?

Any help would be appreciated i dont really want to call them unless i have to..

Thanks and happy new year :D

Mark

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Chances are if you went through the insurers, they'd write it off as they'd base the repair quotes from authorised body shops using new parts (most probably OE) where required. This repair quote will be compared relation to what the cars market value is based on the likes of Parkers etc but you're personal value would be ignored.

The wings would probably be replaced with OE items (I know from experience). Cosmetics on the bumper can be repaired, but if its damaged a new bumper will be included. The ding of the door may be rectified by body shop dent repair techniques if its not too bad.

I think the various bits of paint work required is what will hit repair quotes.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Having had a white van just write my car off can give you a bit of info. Insurance companies usually write a car off if the cost of repairs is equal or greater than 60% of the value of the car using OE parts. Value wise My company went on Glass's car value guide as most of them should as a standard but when i was with admiral(would never recommend these jokers) they basically told me they searched for cars similar in my area on autotrader.co.uk:shifty:. I had a fiesta zetec-s they gave me a price based on a 1.25 zetec, bloody idiots lol. Most decent companies should go on Glass or at least parkers though.

·
Registered
884 Posts
It's possible you could work it out so that you get the car written off (Category C), get the cheque for it, and buy the salvage off them. I did this with my last car for 50 quid, purely cosmetic damage (it was a crap car), got a cheque for 250 quid for the write off, then sold the car for 500 quid! Which, all in all, nicely recouped around 2 years premium!

And, as I, like you, have protected NCB, it didn't impact on my insurance when I insured the beemer. You might want to consider this as a possible course of action. It could work out in your favour.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys great info from all parties thank you very much :) if my personal value will be ignored i will probaly claim reason is i cant remember if i said its true value or whether i made it lower incase it helped the insurance quote, so that makes it easier.

Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
the value you tell them when you insure the car is not taken into account at all mate, they only ask in case you have some sort of uber valuable rare one that they would miss due to the official description saying its the standard motor.

Lets say you bought a merc slk, the computer shows its a standard model, you havent any mods, but the car is actually a Brabus limited edition (doesnt show on the V5) - and is worth £20k more than the ordinary one, then when you enter the price you valued it at, alarm bells will ring at their end and they will halt the quote and phone you up to learn more.

They always use the book price at the time of the accident to determine the value, then if the car was rough, fair or good condition pre-crash they may adjust it lower.

They wont up it tho if you had made it better than standard, insurance companies suck.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Ive been through the same situation before, with my Vectra.

A police car decided to carry on at a junction and pile into the side of me, while I had my 3 year old daughter in the back. The car was recovered and on with the claim process.

To cut it short, I paid £1000 for the car, their technicians valued it at £1400 before the accident, the total cost of repair was going to be £1800+ as they would be using new panels etc. The car was worth £54ish after the accident. I got the car back along with a cheque for £1346ish, which bought me my beemer, its insurance and a few beverages.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Hi,

My car was written off last year it was a rusty old shed so they bunged me £300 and let em keep the car!

Car went on ebay for £370 and my replacement only cost £350

Happy days alround.

They will most likely write it off and try and pay you a small amount. If you can before they see it take the stereo and replace it with crappy a old one. same with the wheels if you have your old ones bung them on and keep anything that you have upgraded.

The insurance will not give you any money for them but will charge you more if you want to buy it back.

Don't except the first offer and haggle as hard as possible shop around and get written adverts for cars that are the same as you have to use as prof of value.

Threaten court and the like to eek out the last few quid they would do the same to you.

Good luck

And for what it's worth don't buy your old car back to do it up. it may seem cheap at the time but the value when you come to sell it agian will be next to nothing.

whacky

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.