BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My motorbike is currently for sale on eBay.

I've had a message - someone wants the registration to get an insurance quote. Would you say this is genuine and I should do it?

Can't he quote the vehicle and add the reg. mark at a later date?

If I don't give it to him am I ruining chances of a sale?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yes he can quote the vehicle make and model to get a quote but I don't see the issue with giving him the reg number. He'd need it to do an HPI check anyway and it's something that you have on display to anyone that looks when you drive about with it..............so what's the problem?

If I was buying it from you I'd want the reg number and VIN so that I could do an HPI check and check the MOT database. If you didn't want to give to me that's your call but I'd look for another bike.

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
There's no problem giving that out. I always advertise cars with registration plate, and I actually get suspicious when people don't advertise with the number plates shown, as I always want to do a CarCheck on the vehicle before I go and see it or decide anything to see if its been a write off etc.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Ditto. He doesn't need it for a quote, but is maybe too polite to say he wants to HPI it!!

Why wouldn't you give the reg number out?
+1. Give him your reg - if he is HPI'ing it, it means he's probably a very genuine buyer. :thumbsup

Reactions: Saunders

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really sure why I was hesitant to give it out. Just everyone seems to cover number plates on eBay these days - and the dreaded story of cloned vehicles etc. Thanks all for replies.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you're selling it then you don't need to be worried about it being cloned really do you?
As others have said, the reg lets the buyer HPI the car and get an accurate insurance quote and indeed line up actual insurance cover in advance of paying and collecting the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts