BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rite my babys a 1998 e36 316(for insurance reasons) totally love this car to bits and never plan on going back to front wheel drive, only thing is need more speed and torque for the sideways action, dont know wether to turbo it or slam in a bigger engine, was thinkin mibi a 2.8 but dont know because this would be a big job id imagine as the wirin loom and all sorts would need to be changed but on the other hand a turbo aint gona do much for the top speed, she tops out at 125 which is nae to bad for a 1.6, any ideas or suggestions

·
Banned
478 Posts
rite my babys a 1998 e36 316(for insurance reasons) totally love this car to bits and never plan on going back to front wheel drive, only thing is need more speed and torque for the sideways action, dont know wether to turbo it or slam in a bigger engine, was thinkin mibi a 2.8 but dont know because this would be a big job id imagine as the wirin loom and all sorts would need to be changed but on the other hand a turbo aint gona do much for the top speed, she tops out at 125 which is nae to bad for a 1.6, any ideas or suggestions
As many here would testify, it is an expensive route going down the turbo avenue... You most econonical route would be an engine conversion, plenty of info in the 'TUNING' section for you to read, and it will make sense the more you read other peoples findings and doings.. :thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
First things first, whatever you do will hike your insurance premium up massively.

If you want to avoid this then you need to stop:thumbsup

Engine replacements are straight forward enough so long as you take care when choosing engines of a compatible year:thumbsup

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...and-need-more-power-information-thread-t2018/

Turbo/supercharger route will need a budget of approximately 8 grand

·
Registered
89 Posts
so u want to make ur bimmer go faster , but can only afford isurance on a 1600, surley u were gonna tell the insurance about a turbo conversion, cos anything that isnt standard is very very expensive either way, why dont you wait for a bit longer and get a more better engine sized car if u want to do drifting.
If you drop a bigger engine in to it, you'll have to tell the insurance about it and the DVLA, and that'll mean your insurance will go up alot more than it is on a 1600...

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Have you considered keeping the 316 for your normal day to day needs and buying yourself a 325-328 just for track/drift purposes?

You can probably pick up a decent 325 for around 1500 quid. You would have to spend a lot more than this to get significant power gains from your 316.

Just a thought mate... I'm not going to bombard you with reasons not to do it but I will try to help you not make the mistakes that I made with my 318is 16V...

If you choose to listen then that's cool, if not, that's cool too...:thumbsup

I will help where possible:cool

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
so u want to make ur bimmer go faster , but can only afford isurance on a 1600, surley u were gonna tell the insurance about a turbo conversion, cos anything that isnt standard is very very expensive either way, why dont you wait for a bit longer and get a more better engine sized car if u want to do drifting.
If you drop a bigger engine in to it, you'll have to tell the insurance about it and the DVLA, and that'll mean your insurance will go up alot more than it is on a 1600...
Thats what I was thinking, if you have a 316 for insurance reasons, then why look at engine conversions etc???

There's enough boy racers driving around who've ripped the basic engine out of their cars and fitted 2ltr engines etc and never told the insurance. Don't know how things would turn out if they were involved in a crash and the inurance was involved.

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Like others have said, adding a bigger engine is either A) going to make you're insurance a lot higher than if you just bought a 320 for example, or B) going to be a big risk if you were to do that and not tell the insurance.

·
Registered
401 Posts
ive got a 328 lump you can have for cheap, what you ave on buyin the parts from me you can put towards the insurance, 190bhp will get you sideways no worries :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont have problems going siseways as long as its wet or even just a bit damp, lol. did think about just not tellin the insurance but wasnt to sure, im away to spend at least 700 quid on subs n a amp next weekend aswell, any1 know of any good alarms out there

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
insurance companies are always on the lookout for excuses not to pay out.
if you fit a larger engine and not tell them they'll have their excuse.
not only that but they would withdraw their cover retroactively and then the police will ask awkward questions if you are involved in an accident.
its just not worth it tbh.
get more experience and ncb then buy a 325/8 or even an m3.
good alarms are covered by a thatcham cert,so look for that ;)
i've had a toad ai 606 (iirc) on a previous motor and would recommend one of those...or a clifford...up to you ;)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Serious message to all...

YOU MUST TELL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANIES!!!

When I was young and stupid I smashed my car that was not taxed and Insured and I paid the price heavily:frown

Ended up with 9 points and a £500 + fine. Nobody wanted to insure me after that and the ones that did were quoting 3 grand plus.

Now I'm not saying that anyone would crash their car but what if you get pulled for a light being out, routine stop or someone runs into you?

It's really not worth it, believe me:thumbsup

·
Registered
217 Posts
Please do not even think about insurance fraud. :mad
I would rather pay more and be happy in the knowledge I'm covered against anything the road or other drivers might do.

Bide your time and get a few more years NCD then get something with a bit more poke. :thumbsup

Probably will take you that long to set up the ICE install properly! :lol
Mine's still not perfect but it'll do for now.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You most econonical route would be an engine conversion
no it wouldn't - most economical route would be to get rid and buy one with a bigger engine...

Not telling the insurers would be a) insurance fraud and b)a liability if you're in an accident.

...if I ever get hit by an uninsured driver, it's medical insurance he'll be wishing he'd bought, not just car insurance.

forgive me if I'm wrong, but from what you've said I get the impression you're quite young (under 20?) - stick with the 316 rather than jump into going faster and wrapping it round a tree.

and don't forget that ice will slow you down big time, and make the back end heavier...dont forget it when you first try playing!

·
Banned
478 Posts
Either way... We have drilled home about the insurance thing, like a pile driver through concrete! I can imagine the guy feels a little intimidated now...

No insurance is bad news for everyone, but my feeling is the guy has the message...:hihi

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.