BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks I have a 2005 X3 2.0 d sport (m) I believed I had heat soak trouble with the starter as it always started when cold but wouldn't crank when engine was hot . Last week I got around to putting a heat shield wrap on the starter but to no avail , still wouldn't crank , do you think my starter has just had enough or is there something else I should try? The car still starts perfectly well when cold . If it's shot I'm confused as to which starter fits my car , there are loads for sale on eBay and breakers yards but there are a vast array of different models . A new one is in the region off £150 and I'm not willing to spend that sort of money on a car that's going up for sale . I just wouldn't sell the car knowing that it has a problem ( unlike the guy that sold it to me) any help would be appreciated .

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Does it fail to crank over when hot and all you get is a click.
Try finding the part number then looking for a s/hand starter.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Are there any relays involved in the starter circuit on 2005 x3?
Have you checked for power at starter when fault occurs to make sure it’s starter related or a supply issue to the starter?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Johnny Starter relay is fine and there is power going to the starter . One thing I didn't mention if I switch the engine off and then try starting it within 10 seconds it will start , but if I wait any longer than ten seconds it won't .
Does it fail to crank over when hot and all you get is a click.
Try finding the part number then looking for a s/hand starter.
Hi Gary that's what it does yes just a click . I think to get the part number off the starter I would need to remove it , it's not visible from engine bay . I was hoping someone might know

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Hi Johnny Starter relay is fine and there is power going to the starter . One thing I didn't mention if I switch the engine off and then try starting it within 10 seconds it will start , but if I wait any longer than ten seconds it won't .

Hi Gary that's what it does yes just a click . I think to get the part number off the starter I would need to remove it , it's not visible from engine bay . I was hoping someone might know
!if it doesn't start first turn of the key, but does on a 'quick' second turn of the key, then I wonder if it's more to do with the immobiliser, or maybe a loose connection in the ignition switch rather than a starter motor problem. ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Greasy I had considered that but would the imobilliser not prevent it from starting on a push ? I can nearly judge when it will start by looking at the engine temp gauge . If it drops into the blue mark it will start , anything above that is a no go no matter what. It did seem like something was swelling with engine heat and not being able to function properly until it had cooled and contracted , hence wrapping the starter with heat shield, but that was 4 hours of my life I won't get back again . I'm wondering is the issue in the selanoid . I wanted to try bypassing the selanoid to see if the starter spins whilst not engaged , but by the time I would get down to the starter the engine would be cool enough to start of its own accord .

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I had a car years ago that wouldn't start when hot.
Turn the key and nothing until it cooled down.
I found that if i quickly turned the key to the start position while it was still running then it would start again while still hot.
We cant do that with cars now so i would would just change the starter motor as that was the fault.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

so regardless of temperature the starter motor receives 12v at solenoid but starter just clicks? Double check main positive is clean and tight and engine earth is good first but does sound very much like the starter is breaking down.

have a check on www.realoem.com stick last 7 of chassis number in and you should be able to find starter part number

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a car years ago that wouldn't start when hot.
Turn the key and nothing until it cooled down.
I found that if i quickly turned the key to the start position while it was still running then it would start again while still hot.
We cant do that with cars now so i would would just change the starter motor as that was the fault.
Yeah I think that's what I'm going to have to do , but I have read other posts about various cars having this issue and in most cases a new starter didn't solve the problem . I think there should be a heat shield on the starter I could see one bolt hole with nothing attached . So new starter and sheild of some sort .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so regardless of temperature the starter motor receives 12v at solenoid but starter just clicks? Double check main positive is clean and tight and engine earth is good first but does sound very much like the starter is breaking down.

have a check on www.realoem.com stick last 7 of chassis number in and you should be able to find starter part number
Thanks for that bud , was at a loss how to find part number without taking starter out

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok guys , so car went to mechanic on Tues . He said the starter was bad , and he would pull it and have it reconditioned . The company he sent it to returned it stating they couldn't do anything with it as it was heat damaged . So new starter £150 plus fitting , I had him put a heat shield wrap on the new one , fingers crossed that it stays running . I will update if there are any further developments but hopefully not .Thanks for all the input .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts