BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

This question is aimed primarily at anyone who has wired an amplifier themselves, or at knows about the wiring location.

I have an e36 compact and obviously am wiring an amplifier. I took out the glove box and tried to see where I could feed the battery cable from.

I can see loads of wires coming through into the car, but when I go and look under the bonnet, there is the battery in the way to do anything or see at all. Does any one know where the best location is to feed the battery cable, preferably without drilling a new hole.

Any help or links appreciated.

Omar

·
Registered
28 Posts
hi i have a e39 i was lucky that the battery is in the boot, with yours i think after doing my m8s e36 as well you will have to drill a hole, but drill the hole a few mm bigger than your cable and if you can use a gromet or sealant,we used sealant because we didnt have a big enough gromet,as long as you put the fuse close as you can to the battery if the wire was to chafe through if would blow, but i have done a few installs now and never had one go on me yet, o yes i would make sure you get a good earth,happy drilling,shaun

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Omar, long time no hear. You should find a rubber or plastic bung in the bulkhead when peeling the carpet back. Put some red tape on a coat hanger (old metal type) and send it through. Remove the battery and you will see it come out under the battery tray which has a cut out in it so you can just grab the coat hanger, tape the wires to the end of the coat hanger that remains inside the car and pull them through (the hole must have a rubber grommet put into the hole to stop the wires from being damaged by the sharp body work):thumbsup

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey

Yeah definitely been a long time A20-I've been away at uni and never really get a chance to do anything about ma bimmer!

Is the bulkhead basically the partition between the engine bay and the cabin? Could you be a bit more specific about which section of carpet I should be searching under?

Thanks A20 and everyone so much for the help, you have done a lot already!

Omar

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Hey

Yeah definitely been a long time A20-I've been away at uni and never really get a chance to do anything about ma bimmer!

Is the bulkhead basically the partition between the engine bay and the cabin? Could you be a bit more specific about which section of carpet I should be searching under?

Thanks A20 and everyone so much for the help, you have done a lot already!

Omar
The bulkhead is the metal partition wall that separates engine and cabin:thumbsup

Remove the glove box and the trim that covers the speaker in the nearside (passenger) foot well. Pull the carpet back as far as you can to expose as much of the metal wall as possible and you should see the plastic/rubber bung that is about the size of a 1 pence piece.

I have my glovebox out of my touring at the moment but can't get into the passenger side as i've got it parked right up against a wall whilst I replace the engine. If I find a way to get a photo then I will but i'm limited to time as the engine has to be out and in before I go back to work:eek

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I noticed today whilst working on the car that I can see the hole from the engine bay on mine. Someone has fed the alarm wires and another wire through it and guess what.... No fricking rubber grommet. MUPPET'S!!!:frown

I'll get a picture to give you an idea of location, be tomorrow now:thumbsup

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice info A20 was wondering where the easiest bung was, Talking about MUPPETS the live amp wire on the compact I bought is trapped in the door shut and threaded through a gap at the top of the wing it is then trapped under the bonnet where the water drains away then goes to the battery, Just disconnected it from the battery for now but it was also live just wandering around in the boot, They have also put the ground wire in the boot would you say this needs to go back to the battery when I wire the amp ????

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Nice info A20 was wondering where the easiest bung was, Talking about MUPPETS the live amp wire on the compact I bought is trapped in the door shut and threaded through a gap at the top of the wing it is then trapped under the bonnet where the water drains away then goes to the battery, Just disconnected it from the battery for now but it was also live just wandering around in the boot, They have also put the ground wire in the boot would you say this needs to go back to the battery when I wire the amp ????
The earth should be should as short as possible so going back to the battery is a no no:thumbsup Keep the wire under a metre in length.

I've seen that method of wiring before. A lad I used to work with did that on his E36 saloon and almost set hs car on fire:eek

I'm sure Ronnie could tell you loads of stories about power cables running UNDER the vehicle too:jaw-dropping

I always look to fix my earth lead to the body of the car, preferably on a bolt that is already there. Make sure the earth you use is clean of paint, dirt and grease. It is imperative that your earth makes good contact:thumbsup

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks A20 for taking the time to post up the photos- were really helpful.

To remove the battery, do both terminals need to be disconnected and would this reset anything after replacing the battery again?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Remove the positive terminal and then the negative and take the battery out of position.

Things like coded stereos will need to have the code put in and the clock etc will need to be.

When refitting the battery fit the positive battery terminal before the negative:thumbsup

Happy New Year to you too mate:thumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.