BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new on here, I’ve not long bought a 2008 630i coupe, coming home from work on the motorway, the wipers stopped working, I’ve checked the fues’s and they seem fine, replaced the wiper relay (Brown one under the bonnet) and the wipers still don’t work... any ideas?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Losing wipers is one of the most horrendous experiences you have have in pelting rain at speed, I had a Punto** many years ago which did this due to a burnt out motor, it required a recovery in the pouring rain and it was the second most horrendous mechanical failure I've had at speed*

Rather than throwing parts at it, basic multi-meter stuff! Voltage at the motor? Motor winding resistance etc.

* I had a steering lock engage on a banked carriageway at 80mph

** The new replacement wiper motor was subsequently stolen, such was the commonality of the failure and the price of the part. The car door was jemmied open one night, the bonnet open and the motor removed.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Cool, remember the first and only rule of electrical diagnosis, thank you Dave Jones:

Thou shalt check voltages.

Turn the wipers on, 12v at the wiper motor, probably a chance the wiper motor is naffed.

Then go to the relay, check for voltage there.... etc.

You can check the resitance of the wiper motor winding, implauisble high, open or short and it is fit for the bin.

A £3 multimeter is still the tool everybody should have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, update... I’ve checked every fues, boot and glove box, all ok, wiper relay tested out of the car, working fine... relay seems to click when wiper stalk is moved.
Plug onto the wiper motor,has 2 positive feeds, 8 to 12 volts each and 2 negative feeds, I think these are the switching. couldn’t get reading off motor, pins too close.. next step new motor, anyone know how easy these are to remove?

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Nope, but do have a poke around on youtube, all sorts of 'interesting' things on there :)

Wiper motor replacements, wiper motors! Duh! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts