BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I wanted to share my experience of fixing the electric windows and wipers on my 840.

so I had nothing working but no fuses or relays were faulty. After a lot of reading I found that it could be the Gm2 or relay control module. Basically the car sits still over winter and up till this point I used to just jump start the car from my truck. BIG mistake! It basically fried my module..... I searched on various places for recons or servicing and found a place in Leeds that basically could fix and update the GM2. The guy went through the faults with me and pretty well gave me the gaurenttee that it was the cause. I sent the module away and a week later it came back with an updated software added. Cost me £60 and was told not to jump start again.

well, I can tell you that was a waste of money..... it didn’t work and I thought I was doomed to be able to fix it.

after a little more looking I found a seller on eBay in Germany that could recon the GM2 & RM1 both for around £206 plus shipping but with a two year warranty. I went through a lot of questions with Ralf Pusches (puschesparts) on eBay he pointed out the fact that even though I could hear relays operating that it would infact be the RM1module and not the GM2!
I was of course worried about sending it off but had no choice if I was to get it fixed!
Again a week later the RM1 turned back up with signed for DHL postage. I plugged it all in and hey presto! It works....
I’m sure the guys in Leeds did no harm in updating the GM2 but I’m not entirely sure they had the same knowledge that Ralf did, he’s admin for the German based BMW 8-Series club. And knew exactly what to ask and look out for.
Really happy to have the car fixed but still have more to tinker with.
wheels to be refurbished next!

thanks for reading hope it helps some one else

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for sharing the info. Using jump leads on the E31 should be avoided. There is a chance that something will blow, as you found out unfortunately.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely a lesson learned. I now have a solar panel trickle charger on it and that seems to be working well

1 - 3 of 3 Posts