BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New here and hoping for some good news.

Had a van disintegrate my wing mirror today and the BMW garage was just shy of £1000 parts only.

I think I need the plastic housing, colour coded front part, indicator cover and glass.

Any recommendations please. I'm not a car nut but its an X3 2019 model so believe its F97/G01

Many thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'd call Quarry Motors for a start (they're big BMW breakers) and see if they can help.

Ebay also has a few on there if you search for BMW G01 wing mirror - but you need to know what sort of mirrors you have (do they power fold? do they automatically dim?) in order to narrow down what the right answer is. The ideal is to get the whole assembly including glass and coloured backing plate - but worst case, you could get one that's the wrong colour and then get the backing plate painted as it'll still be a load cheaper all up.

You can also put the last 7 digits of the VIN number into www.realoem.com in order to get the part numbers relevant to your vehicle which is often very helpful in narrowing things down.

Also of note - if the mirror glass is self dipping, it's seriously (as in almost comically) expensive. You can put non-dipping glass in for about quarter the price although it obviously won't self-dip. Not recommending it as such, but just noting in case it helps the financials.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow thank you so much for the detailed response. When I called BMW I said I need the whole lot ( I was a in a bit of a panic at the time) but the motor still opens and closes so its just all the plastic surrounds I need and the glass. Even at BMW prices I cant see that being £1000 so I need to maybe take it in to be sure. However Ill def look at that site and see what comes up. I dont believe its self dimming and I think its only the passenger side that dips. Its funny the things you dont notice or remember. To be honest I hate the dipping function. Thanks again. Ill see how I get on

·
Registered
830 Posts
No worries - pleasure!

Just to be clear when I say auto dip/dim I mean that the glass automatically goes darker when there are headlights behind it at night (rather than the passenger mirror that temporarily adjusts downwards when reversing). Basically the car senses bright light behind it and passes an electric current across the mirror which makes it go from clear to like sunglasses. Sometimes referred to as electrochromic glass. Those glass panels are bonkers money - of the order of £300 per side.

Incidentally, If you hate the passenger mirror reverse movement - you can stop it doing that. The left/right selector next to the mirror adjust joystick - move it to the other side. One side means it auto drops when reversing, the other side doesn't. Can't remember which way for which function though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts