BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 218i Gran Coupe's windscreen got hit by something yesterday (towards the bottom, passenger side) and shortly afterwards a long crack developed which is on its way to making a semi-circle. I have it booked in to be fixed by National Windscreens through my insurer, but they cannot do until the week after next which is a problem as we are supposed to be going on holiday from London to Cornwall next week.

The person I spoke to was confident that continuing to drive the car would not be a problem given current screen technology/safety. They said that they have clients who drive around for ages with large cracks before they get them fixed - the key is that it's not interfering with the driver's vision (it's not).

Does this sound right to people? She was very confident and I would much rather take my car than have to hire one, but I don't want to end up stranded if things go horribly wrong.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
My mate drove a Landrover offroad for three years with a crack going completely across the windscreen, so getting jarred all the time, no issues!

Not saying it won't break, there is always the possibility of it, but I'd take the chance. Actually, I'd probably try to help it myself with a hole/crack fixit kit from Halfords, maybe .. ;)

Halfords/RainX crack Fix

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I drove the work van for ages while they argued over who was going to foot the bill and it was worse than that. I wouldn’t have any issue driving that for another week or 2 until it can be replaced.

if you are worried could you get national to do it while you are down in Cornwall?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I did look into Autoglass or BMW doing it but they quoted £1600-2000 (and no guarantee they could do it this week) whereas if I wait I just pay a small excess on my insurance. But great idea on trying to get it done down there, I’ll look into it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
It is perfectly safe to drive with the crack. The screen is effectively two pieces of glass bonded to a plastic film in the middle. It will not leak water and will still maintain most of its integrity. Dont stress and enjoy your holiday.
Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
I drove a 1series I owned for nearly a month with an 8” crack in it A few years ago.

ensure the replacement is fitted/sealed correctly when it is done. Mine wasn’t, during a heavy rainstorm it leaked and fried the fuse box.

·
Registered
4,913 Posts
and wen buying insurance,make sure windscreen replacement is covered, had my e 90 330d done last year,lorry coming opposite direction,large stone about size of 50p piece,,nearly shat me pants,quite a crack, and got worse next week or so,,,took a week to get it booked in,if you have front camera reading ability they cannot do it roadside,its a visit job,my 640d has road sign recognition so would have to visit them if it happened to that car..

·
Registered
2011 e93 320d
17 Posts
+1 for getting it fixed in Cornwall.

·
Registered
35 Posts
and wen buying insurance,make sure windscreen replacement is covered, had my e 90 330d done last year,lorry coming opposite direction,large stone about size of 50p piece,,nearly shat me pants,quite a crack, and got worse next week or so,,,took a week to get it booked in,if you have front camera reading ability they cannot do it roadside,its a visit job,my 640d has road sign recognition so would have to visit them if it happened to that car..
+1 for getting it fixed in Cornwall.
WARNING: Only get it fixed CLOSE to where you live, in case of complications afterwards!!! Jim, 60 years driving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts