BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 months now since i got my new car
had a puncture last month
and now a crack on the windscreen, called autoglass and they said we dont deal with Admiral

Called Admiral and they use a company called Auto Windscreens, anyone heard of them ? any good?

well i called them to get it sorted and after 15 minutes of security and car information i got told "oh its a convertible, they have a special glass and we will have to order it in, we can book it next week"

Then 10 minutes later get a call saying does you glass have a gray tint on the top? (i so wanted to say yes so they would replace it with one) but then i realised BMW took that option off when i picked rain sensors.
then i get told your glass is heat reflective and they will take longer to order.

now i have to wait till the 1st to get it changed!!

Everyone attending the South East meet - YES I KNOW I HAVE A CRACK IN MY WINDSCREEN !! (in advance):silly

Rant over!

Edit: picture added just incase you want to see what a stone the size of mars can do

·
Registered
506 Posts
Auto-Windscreens are part of the RAC and are probably bigger than Auto-Glass. You should'nt have any problems.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Auto-Windscreens are part of the RAC and are probably bigger than Auto-Glass. You should'nt have any problems.
PHEW!! thanks J0N :thumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ask your insurer to supply an OEM screen. There will probably be a premium but it will come with original fittings :thumbsup...that's what I had done on the 1er :hihi

·
Platinum BFuk Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ask your insurer to supply an OEM screen. There will probably be a premium but it will come with original fittings :thumbsup...that's what I had done on the 1er :hihi
Im already paying £70 for it, is OEM the original BMW one ?
it probably is a dumb question :duh

·
Platinum BFuk Member
951 Posts
OEM stands for Original equipment manufacture i.e a genuine part.

I hope you have better luck with the car though these things are said to come in 3´s so make sure those wheel bolts are nice and tight :shifty:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im already paying £70 for it, is OEM the original BMW one ?
it probably is a dumb question :duh
That £70 will be your windscreen excess. You will have to pay on top of that if you want OEM...mine is something like £150 instead of £70 for OEM glass. Wouldn't worry too much because Pilkington supply windscreens to BMW with the roundel :thumbsup. But it's the glass fittings that I prefer to be original.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OEM stands for Original equipment manufacture i.e a genuine part.

I hope you have better luck with the car though these things are said to come in 3´s so make sure those wheel bolts are nice and tight :shifty:
oh now you have me worried:eek

That £70 will be your windscreen excess. You will have to pay on top of that if you want OEM...mine is something like £150 instead of £70 for OEM glass. Wouldn't worry too much because Pilkington supply windscreens to BMW with the roundel :thumbsup. But it's the glass fittings that I prefer to be original.
typical now i cant get hold of anyone to tell them to change the order,
will keep trying:thumbsup

·
Registered
146 Posts
When you get a windscreen for your car for the first time from the likes of auto windscreens it no longer says BMW in the bottom right hand corner, look at all your windows and everyone will match apart from the new windscreen it's a right pita imo :(

·
Platinum BFuk Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you get a windscreen for your car for the first time from the likes of auto windscreens it no longer says BMW in the bottom right hand corner, look at all your windows and everyone will match apart from the new windscreen it's a right pita imo :(
I know what you mean, had the windscreen changed before in my Lexus and it was the same, everywhere it has the lexus logo except windscreen.

As per Neal i am trying to get the OEM, hopefully that says BMW on it:thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update folks,

The windscreen is getting replace right now, and they have upgraded it to a heat reflective glass that goes blue when sun shines on it !!
sounds interesting, the previous screen didnt change colour!!

is this a good thing ?? any ideas ??

The fittings are OEM

·
Platinum BFuk Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What kind of salesman cr*p is that? :hihi. Did you have climate comfort glass before?
is that the upgraded windscreen with the gray band on the top ?
then yes but it didnt have the blue heat reflective film on it.

this windscreen is cool, from the outside when the light hits on it it just looks mirror blue

from the inside its just normal, but it will reflect the sun light :confused

·
Registered
416 Posts
sounds like they have either assumed thats the glass you already had or managed to get you to take an upgrade? but i emagin the price didnt change so cant be a bad thing.

main thing is are you happy with it? if not give them a call or write them a letter :thumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you had smoke grey glass screen, then the rest of your windows are smoke grey. Me thinks someone scr*wed up on the order and got you a blue tint one.

·
Registered
488 Posts
is that the upgraded windscreen with the gray band on the top ?
then yes but it didnt have the blue heat reflective film on it.

this windscreen is cool, from the outside when the light hits on it it just looks mirror blue

from the inside its just normal, but it will reflect the sun light :confused
me likes the sound of that!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sounds like they have either assumed thats the glass you already had or managed to get you to take an upgrade? but i emagin the price didnt change so cant be a bad thing.

main thing is are you happy with it? if not give them a call or write them a letter :thumbsup
yeh the chap that came to fit it said the same, he said the insurance company pays for it and they wont see your old glass so they dont know what you had.

for you its an upgrade at not extra cost :thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you had smoke grey glass screen, then the rest of your windows are smoke grey. Me thinks someone scr*wed up on the order and got you a blue tint one.
whats better ?
they other glasses did have a smokey tint to it

oh btw got OEM fixtures at not extra cost, apparently they didnt have any of the unknown branded fixtures so they got them from bmw :hihi

·
Platinum BFuk Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Ultra Platinum BFuk Member
217 Posts
I know it's an oldish thread but didn't you say in your first post BMW got rid of the climate windscreen because you chose the rain sensors option? does the rain sensor still work?

it's great having a slightly cooler car but I wish there was an option to get a heated windscreen like you can get on other cars

1 - 20 of 20 Posts