BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
What is it you're trying to achieve by doing this, if it's possible?

If it's to gain power then I would advise for what it could cost you it would be more worthwhile you transplanting a 6 pot:thumbsup

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well to be honest i was more curious on weather it could be done to be honest. cos i have been asked this question myself by a few mates and they thought it could be done was just seeing if it could be. i am already looking at an engine conversion to a 325i engine

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Yes, the engines are the same between the two essentially I thought..
Apart from one being 8 valve and the other 16.

So if the cylinder head fits the block then you'll need the engine loom and ecu ( if EWS present you'll also need the EWS module and chip in the ignition key) complete cylinder head and that's where my knowledge stops apart from adding that the brakes are larger on the front IIRC and has discs on the rear. Also the 318i runs a single coil where the 318is runs separate coils for each cylinder which will require the support bracket to attach them to the OSF suspension turret.

There's probably more but it not something my knowledge stretches to and isn't a question i've ever thought of asking

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Apart from one being 8 valve and the other 16.

So if the cylinder head fits the block then you'll need the engine loom and ecu ( if EWS present you'll also need the EWS module and chip in the ignition key) complete cylinder head and that's where my knowledge stops apart from adding that the brakes are larger on the front IIRC and has discs on the rear. Also the 318i runs a single coil where the 318is runs separate coils for each cylinder which will require the support bracket to attach them to the OSF suspension turret.

There's probably more but it not something my knowledge stretches to and isn't a question i've ever thought of asking
The block is the same casting Im pretty sure. Forgot about the valve issue as I dont deal with 'weeners', but anythings possible given brains and money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts