BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question really... My abs pump needs replacing. £400 for a refurbished one from my garage, but are willing to fit second hand one if i buy it, but they want no dealing with the purchasing of it incase it doesn't work (basically it's on my head if its a dudd). I've found a cheap one that has the same DSC codes etc as my one has, but it says on the site "This ABS - Anti-Lock Brake is for 2002 ~ 2005 BMW 325i, BMW 325ci." Mine is a 2002 320 SE..... since the codes are the same surely it will still fit?? It's still a lot of money to spend if i am wrong....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Engine size and year doesnt always mean it will fit or work - quite simply, you need to find the part no. on your existing pump, then find a used pump with the same part number.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That unit require coding with DIS, I have done that before, the warning light would not clear out without it.
Hey... I've had the second hand part fitted now and the garage has said the program light is now on but the abs, traction control and handbrake light are all now gone. They think I may need to reprogram it (they haven't tried clearin yet) .... is this what you meant you had to do???? I'm guessing only bmw can do this... do you remember how much they charged to reprogram??

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Should be free if they did the work mine cost £50 to buy a used one and £20 labour took 1/2 hr fitting and coding. It doesnt take long i waited as he did it all outside quickly. coding is just changing the vin numbers to match as the ecu will recognise a different part. I was told after if you disconnect the battery before then change them over no coding is needed then someone did theirs that way. Were the part numbers the same on the side of pump?. Different engine sizes require different pumps as the ecu part on the pump will be different so will need to match

ps...Dont take it to bmw they told me it cant even be done that way i must buy a new abs pump for £1000+ typical...lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts