BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys

I posted this question in another thread I opened about other rims but am guessing as its about a different set of rims I should open a new thread.

Basically I got my self a set of genuine 18" m3 alloys. the fronts are 225/45/18 which ive fitted already. However due to the snow I haven't had the chance to fit the rears. The rears are 255/40/18

Will they fit my 2001 e46 320d saloon?

Cheers

·
Platinum BFuk Member
386 Posts
Hi guys

I posted this question in another thread I opened about other rims but am guessing as its about a different set of rims I should open a new thread.

Basically I got my self a set of genuine 18" m3 alloys. the fronts are 225/35/18 which ive fitted already. However due to the snow I haven't had the chance to fit the rears. The rears are 255/40/18

Will they fit my 2001 e46 320d saloon?

Cheers

The m3 rear wheels have a different offset to the normal e46 alloys. I think the best thing to do would be to try them and let us know if they fit. If this question was about the coupe of convertible them I would say no but I also know that the arches on the e46 saloon are a little different so I honestly don't know.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for the reply much appreciated

Im dying to find out as currently I have the fronts on and they look amazing compared to the 15" on the back.

Btw is it ok to have 18 on the front and 15 on the back? Im guessing two different axles or something along those lines lol. I havent really driven anywhere today with them due to the mad weather in London at the moment but when I get the rears on I will update.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
have you mixed up the sidewall ratios in your original post?
if not you'll have speedo issues.
the offset on the rear will mean the tyres will stick out of the arch a bit...not good if you take mates out,or push it round the bends a bit.
it may even be illegal and will fail an mot test.
are they deffo oem M3 and not replicas?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
have you mixed up the sidewall ratios in your original post?
if not you'll have speedo issues.
the offset on the rear will mean the tyres will stick out of the arch a bit...not good if you take mates out,or push it round the bends a bit.
it may even be illegal and will fail an mot test.
are they deffo oem M3 and not replicas?
I think he meant to post 255/35 18:thumbsup

M3 use a mixture of 3 and 5 series offsets so as a general rule will not fit.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks for the replies

no the rears are 255 40 18 and defo m3 originals

however they are now about 2cm clear of the arches/fenders but are sticking out of the width of the car and are rubbing anytime i go over a dip in the road.

So im hoping to get 225 40 18 and roll the fenders

im hoping that 3.5cm less will give me enough clearance

btw, when I was changing the second alloy on the rear, as I was rolling the old tyre away I heard a clunk! I looked round and the car had slipped!

The first one didnt slip because it was just good luck where I was didnt have any ice, but on the other side there was, it fell right onto the wheel or disk (not sure what its called)

I quickly jacked it up and hope for the best, once I had them both fitted i took it to my mechanic who gave it the all clear thank god

Also regarding the rubbing, my mechanic suggested getting shock absorbers that are adjustable saying that then you could higher the car and it would be ok.

Is this correct guys?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
386 Posts
thanks for the replies

no the rears are 255 40 18 and defo m3 originals

however they are now about 2cm clear of the arches/fenders but are sticking out of the width of the car and are rubbing anytime i go over a dip in the road.

So im hoping to get 225 40 18 and roll the fenders

im hoping that 3.5cm less will give me enough clearance

btw, when I was changing the second alloy on the rear, as I was rolling the old tyre away I heard a clunk! I looked round and the car had slipped!

The first one didnt slip because it was just good luck where I was didnt have any ice, but on the other side there was, it fell right onto the wheel or disk (not sure what its called)

I quickly jacked it up and hope for the best, once I had them both fitted i took it to my mechanic who gave it the all clear thank god

Also regarding the rubbing, my mechanic suggested getting shock absorbers that are adjustable saying that then you could higher the car and it would be ok.

Is this correct guys?

i had a problem with wheels rubbing on mr car. couldn't roll the arches because its a convertible so i changed the wheels. if you can get the arches rolled to accomodate the wheels then do that but raising the car will look really odd especially if you have m3 wheels on it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to be ohnest ive never been an alloy sorta guy, I would buy alloys for the tyres that would come with them, but this time I dont really mind what tyres are on them but its these m3 alloys that ive fallen for.

Im thinking of trying 215 40 18 tyres

These will fit on right?

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Have a look on the back of each wheel. You will see some markings, make a note of them, they will resemble something like this;

--J x 18, ET--

Once you know these for sure then real good advice can be given on the best options.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok cheers for the info mark

also thank you tabbassam, ive been mailing ppl all night asking if they will sell their fronts but at this time im just trying to keep all my options open.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
that'll be et 12...genuine M3 fitment ;)
they really are model specific...not sure even rolling the arches will help...the 2nd set and just using the fronts is your best bet if you love the look of these wheels imo

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cheers for the reply mark, what about what I suggested about putting 225 on the rear then putting them on the front?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok will do, will that cause any problems with turning etc? also when I go over humps will I get rubbing on the front as I do on the back? or is the car higher at the front?

Also would I be able to fit 255 on the fronts without them sticking out since im guessing ill have a smaller offset??

thanks for all the help

1 - 20 of 28 Posts