BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fixing my sisters bf's car, a little corsa with a snapped handbrake cable. Easy I thought, I'll have a quick shifty on google and see if any corsa forums cover the topic (always nice to know incase of any surprises) and I'll order the parts.
Now I thought a handbrake cable would be a pretty simple thing, perhaps split into a few different parts but pretty simple none the less. As it turns out, it's split into 5 parts, 2 of which can vary depending on if the car has ABS or not and 1 of which can vary if it's a turbo diesel or an NA.
Would you like to know how different these parts are? Well I'll tell you; the parts that differ depending on ABS are exactly the same in every way other than the ABS items have a tiny (4mm) sleeve that moves around and freely and does nothing.
The difference in NA and TD cable are that the TD cable is 11mm longer, again, for as far as I can see, no reason whatsoever.
Why do manufacturers do this? Are they just bored? :mad

Aaaaaand breathe.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
It's a conspiracy, they do it to wind people up, so they post rants on internet forums:rofl

It must be a vauxhall thing, i had the same problem with a cavalier clutch cable years ago, 2 different lengths, on the same model, on the same year, but the shop didn't tell me that, and then order both just in case, they just ordered me the wrong one, on a 3 day lead time:frown

·
Registered
34 Posts
In the murky mists of time there was no doubt a very good reason for these differences. It was probably for one of two reasons:
1. the original design of the car actually required these differences, but by the time the model went into production, the design had been refined - components which required the differences on your part were "value engineered" out, but your part was never updated, maybe due to poor configuration management, or maybe due to the parts or moulds already being in manufacture.
2. these differences were built in as passive provision for developments that were considered, but never implemented.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the murky mists of time there was no doubt a very good reason for these differences. It was probably for one of two reasons:
1. the original design of the car actually required these differences, but by the time the model went into production, the design had been refined - components which required the differences on your part were "value engineered" out, but your part was never updated, maybe due to poor configuration management, or maybe due to the parts or moulds already being in manufacture.
2. these differences were built in as passive provision for developments that were considered, but never implemented.
That makes a lot of sense actually and I'd never have thought of that. I was hedging my bets on 'Vauxhall being a bunch of *****'

Rants are always good, I felt much better afterwards :)
I've noticed a couple of people have 'thanked' me for this 'useful' post...is that sarcasm? lol

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
That makes a lot of sense actually and I'd never have thought of that. I was hedging my bets on 'Vauxhall being a bunch of *****'

Rants are always good, I felt much better afterwards :)
I've noticed a couple of people have 'thanked' me for this 'useful' post...is that sarcasm? lol
From me, it's more reflief than anything else, i though i was the only one who it always seemed to happen to:rofl

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hooray! the only part I didn't get out of the 17 million handbrake cables I ordered just to be safe is the one that's broken and that won't arrive until tomorrow morning.
That means this poxy corsa is taking up my axle stands and jack which I now can't use to work on the 3 series.
This is fantasic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts