BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I used to be a member 'Alfaowner.com' - having had a 156 2.4 diesel prior to selling it and buying a 2nd BMW.
I've always been surprised at the silly remarks on the forum about BMW drivers blah blah blah, but now I'm driving a BMW (the wife has a new one, I'm driving her old one) I'm horrified at some of the really unpleasant comments.

I loved my Alfa, but the bottom line is that (for now) the BMW seems to be a more efficient, effective and reliable car. I'll own another Alfa, as it's a brand I love and the car's really are designed beautifully. Why can't we all just get along nicely?

Check out a few of the anti BMW threads on Alfaowner, it's not all of the members - but a select few. It's ridiculous really.

Anyone had similar experiences?

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
I wouldn't worry about ricepipe, you get all sorts of weird "pigeon hole" effects if you know what I mean.

For example:
Oh he has a bimmer let's charge him 30% more than the standard rate.
Oh that is a nice car you have, can you lend me some money?

It's a bit pathetic and sure there is banter between people who love certain car manufacturers products but people just push it too far sometimes.....

Anyway, back to your q - No, I have not experienced it much. I just concentrate on loving, improving and maintaining my beautiful beast! Red :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
because theres so many people who just have BMW's as a status symbol and haven't got a clue how to drive :(

first day I had mine I got picked on by the police quite randomly

·
Platinum BFuk Member
105 Posts
Its not just BMW's, peoplke tend to defend their own cars against all others even when the competition is a better car. I used to be on a vauxhall forum and mentioned i was buying an audi and got slated for it. A while back we had some audi guys come on here and play the fool and stir up trouble. So far this is one of the few forums where i haven't seen any real bashing of other cars or drivers. At the end of the day all cars have their faults as do the drivers it just seems some people like to shout about it more than others.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't worry about ricepipe, you get all sorts of weird "pigeon hole" effects if you know what I mean.
For example:
Oh he has a bimmer let's charge him 30% more than the standard rate.

I got a quote for some Kuhmo Ecsta's 225/45/17's, managed to haggle down to £120/pair.
When I arrived in the Bim, I was told that they'd be extra because I needed runflats as I didn't have a spare - oh really - what's this bloody great black wheel hanging under the boot then?

Told him to poke it, and went elsewhere for the same £120 deal.

Idiots

PS - despite the good reviews, they are a terrible tyre - they tramline everywhere. Avoid.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Because alfa drivers wish their cars were rear wheel drive like they used to be,

Albeit, alfas are the one of the nicest front wheel drive cars you can drive, but thats the lesser of two evils really.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Because alfa drivers wish their cars were rear wheel drive like they used to be,

Albeit, alfas are the one of the nicest front wheel drive cars you can drive, but thats the lesser of two evils really.

I really did love my 156, such a charismatic car, and a super chassis for FWD. I'd say most cars fans desire an Alfa and appreciate a BMW. In an ideal world you'd probably want a mixture of both. I just can't grasp why there is so much animosity towards the brand. Strange.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what 2.4 did you have mate, the 136, 140 or the 150 or was it one of the later multivalve ones? i had one of the older ones running near on 200 brake. awesome it was, i was gutted when it got written off. very very fast for a diesel, and the looks are just different league
Had a completely standard 136 - 99V. Cost me £2200 in 12months/13000 miles. Plus deprciation. A superb engine. Still miss it - but not the bills!

There are plenty of them around with over 200 brake - stupidy fast and very very torquey.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I had an alfa 156 jtd 16v once when i went on a training course where i used to work and my god did it fly! It still returned about 600 miles to the tank aswell. I don't just think its alfa drivers who slate bmws, ther are lots of people. Alot of the problem as said before is the rich execs who want a top end one just for status and pretty much think they own the road and dirve like idiots ( not trying to offend anyone on here its just what ive noticed down the A2 and M25 when i keep getting cut up :frown). I was given a flyer at work someone made up stating all bmws should be returned to the dealer as there is an urgent recall fixing the indicators that dont seem to work, sure i see the funny side of it but stuff like that gets made for a reason. At the end of the day everyone likes different cars, if we didnt we would all be very boring it seems sone people just like trolling forums trying to provoke trouble.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a beautiful 1992 (J Plate) Black Alfa 33 S Permanent 4 Cloverleaf - hardly any about, very rare with 4 wheel drive, beautiful 1.9 boxer engine (sounds increadible) and awesome to drive, absolutely loved the wee beast. But to be honest it cost me an absolute fortune to run, broke down on pretty much a weekly basis and literally fell to bits by the time I sold it.

I used to find parts actually fell off in my hands... it's a complete cliche but totally true. Was driving along at 80ish mph + in the dark on the M6 and the door speaker simply fell out of the mounting onto my leg, nearly crashed my car shitting myself so much, had no idea what was virating on my leg until I pulled over!!! Add to this front bumper, drivers mirror, sun roof handle, door handle, speaker and front indecator - all of which just simply fell off - and before anyone asks, no it wasn't a shoddy rebuild, it was actually a mint condition, unaltered version!

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again, they compliment owning a BMW perfectly in my book, best of both worlds. Keep the zimmer for weekly use and fun, the Alfa for a bit of mucking around but not having to rely on it to start every day!

CL.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again, they compliment owning a BMW perfectly in my book, best of both worlds. Keep the zimmer for weekly use and fun, the Alfa for a bit of mucking around but not having to rely on it to start every day!

CL.
+1..

·
Registered
616 Posts
after 2 minutes of searching i found this.
craig_87

Member car:
Alfa 146 Junior

Re: Are Alfa drivers the new BMW driver!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The generic BMW driver is a commuter whos worked in an office all day, as they can afford these boring beasts. Their daily life is boring, and they themselves are boring, so they purchase a boring car to fit in with their boring lives.

When its home time, they think of nothing more than getting home to their boring life, that boring couch and that boring television program...even if it means totally ignoring anyone else on the road, and driving through you on the outside lane, even if your there.

I used to take great pride in pulling over to let them past in the Micra, then catch right back up again and hang off their backside... Never seen so many puzzled and amazed faces

The Alfa is much easier to do that in, I only drive like a pratt if someone else has just done it to me.

we should start a alfa hate section :lol

+ i love the nissan micra thing:sarcastic

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Its probably generalism and narrow minded views from years ago, when perhaps back then BMW drivers were perhaps more idiot orientated than others lol.

These days, I'll respect anyone who drives sensibly, has fun without pestering others etc. Not bothered what car any one drives, I treat all motorists with the same sensible attitude (until they delibertaely cut me up or tailgate me).

However, I always try to give an acknowledging nod to owners of something a bit special or something you can see they cherish.

Have to say, my cousins in-laws in italy mainly drive an array of Alfa's 147/159 GTA's and the new GT coupe type thing (sorry don't know what its called). Everytime I've been there, those cars really do feel very unique and pleasing in many ways but lack that 'solid' feel. Even though these are are new/newish, they can be tempermental (not really what you want in everyday situations)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
PS - despite the good reviews, they are a terrible tyre - they tramline everywhere. Avoid.
Were they fitted to front or rear? Start another thread in the tyre forum as it may be something we can assist with:thumbsup

As for the comments regarding other cars? It's an image thing in my opinion. Many people feel that they are judged by what car they drive and if they feel there car is not as good as others then they choose to slate others to make themselves feel better:hihi

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.