BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i have barely posted on here since getting my 330ci as ive been too busy enjoying it:hihi but ive realised it doesnt have a spare wheel, nor is it on run flats. my boss has a 5 series on run flats but they are £70 more expensive PER TYRE compared to decent non run flats, now seeing as they are only good for 50 miles once punctured means once this happens he has to get it replaced anyway. in other words he pays an extra £280 when he has 4 new tyres for the privelage of having run flats and no spare which to me seems bonkers:jaw-dropping.

who here prefers to pay the extra for run flats so they dont have to bother with changing a wheel? who is like me at the mo and has no spare or run flats and who got non run flat tyres and bought a spare bmw alloy/space saver out the money they saved? (this is what i am thinking)

im looking on ebay now to hunt down a space saver or good mv2...

·
Registered
361 Posts
I used to have run flats on my MINI and to be honest was pretty happy knowing that if my wife suffered a puncture she could drive well clear of any threatening area that she might find herself in.

Down side was that the tyres didn't flex as much as normal tyres and grip suffered as a result.

I must admit the price did pi$$ me off a little as well;)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
The coupe does not carry a spare or tyre weld, it runs on will power - Please God don't let me get a puncture:lol

Run flats are a great idea but the design needs rethinking as BMW's are suffering with cracked wheels due to the extra stiffness in the sidewalls:frown

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got a spare and its also a contour but I have staggered wheels and not sure if its for the front or the back-but at least if I get a puncture it wont look out of place although last time I had to break up my speaker box to get it out :rofl definately recommend getting a spare though cause once got a puncture in my touring as far away from anywhere and went through hell to get home again :frown:rofl

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rich, is there no space saver under the second floor in the spare wheel well?
no mate just a nice big hole:frown on ebay it seems a e46 space saver goes for around £50 where as an mv2 alloy for £125-150 with a used tyre, is the hole big enough to hold an 18 inch mv2 or only big enough for a bmw space saver?

cheers guys

·
Registered
788 Posts
i havnt got a spare in my car (gasp) if i did i wouldnt be able to get it out as it takes 3 people to get my speaker box out to get to the well, i just use tyre weld then get to my tyre suppliers or call the breakdown company out for a tow lol

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
no mate just a nice big hole:frown on ebay it seems a e46 space saver goes for around £50 where as an mv2 alloy for £125-150 with a used tyre, is the hole big enough to hold an 18 inch mv2 or only big enough for a bmw space saver?

cheers guys
E36 wheel well will take an 18" wheel and 225/40 18 tyre easily. I had this when I was on 18's:thumbsup

19" with 235/35 19 should also fit too:cool

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts

cheers guys
Pretty sure there's enough room to get a full size wheel in there. Was looking at dropping an LPG tank in my brothers the other week.

Ian

·
Registered
217 Posts
£70 for 50 miles? sounds like a rip off. But, he's the boss and, is it a company car?
I wouldn't pay that unless it was an absolute emergency.

(unlike the woman I saw yesterday in a supermarket talking on a mobile to her daughter - "where are you? hurry up, I'm at the check out number 22"

They were in the same shop! some people have too much money. :rofl

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Space savers are the spawn of satan. I had a flat on the (wider) rear tyre of my MR2 a few years back. But I absolutely had to be somewhere the following morning. Time was short so I dropped the wheel off with my mate at the garage and left with the skinny on. I was a good little driver and kept below 50. It handled like a pig, but I was being cautious. On a (now with hindsight very stupid) whim to keep time loss down, I jumped onto the motorway for a 3 mile stretch to cut the town out. The car was all over the road and using damn near 2 lanes of the motorway if I wasnt careful. I started to think the spacesaver was falling off until I finally saw that against all odds, I had yet another puncture on the other rear tyre. I was well peeved that I had convinced myself the lousy handling was the spacesaver.

After that I had a full sized (front tyres sized) wheel in the car in place of the skinny as the potential for error was far too high for my liking. Before anyone points this out, I know my compact has a bloody skinny slung under the boot. Am not happy about it.

The worst example of a 'lets give them a skinny for no reason but saving money' was the astra g (new shape) that I just sold prior to buying my beemer. When you lifted the boot tray to access the spare wheel, it had a wheel sized plastic ring around 3 inches deep sat on top of the spacesaver skinny wheel to 'pad it out' to a height where the card/carpet base wouldnt collapse into the hole. I took the plastic ring and skinny tyre out and put a standard wheel in the well. fitted like it was made for it. which it was.

skinny spacesavers are a tool of the devil

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.