BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only owned my 328i for just under 2 weeks, today I couldn't get in it because the windows had iced up, so the doors wouldn't open... and where's the de-icer, in the glove box!

Anyone else get caught out the same way this morning?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Have done in bygone times before I used the pump de-icer (not the compressed stuff) and sprayed it on liberally, also a coating of vaseline helps to keep the windows and door rubbers free. Or pour mildly warm water over your seals......... not hot water though..............

Tom

·
Registered
401 Posts
it dosnt have to be warm water you can use cold, the cold water is still warmer than the freezing cold seals, warm water might crack the seals, even if its just warm its a lot hotter than the seals are at present, my advice is dont be tight and buy 2 tins of deicer, one in the car one in the garage as a spare, it only costs 1:45 a tin , if you can afford to run a bmw you can afford 2 tins of deicer

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my advice is dont be tight and buy 2 tins of deicer, one in the car one in the garage as a spare, it only costs 1:45 a tin , if you can afford to run a bmw you can afford 2 tins of deicer
Cost wasn't really the issue, I've just never owned a car where ice has stopped me getting in it in the morning. Although the "minted BMW owner" stereotype is always amusing.:rofl

·
Registered
401 Posts
lets face it, group 16+ insurance and a bit over 20mpg town driving and laughable maintenence costs, you have to be a bit more commited than the average joe

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, in the end an attractive young lady came to my rescue. She owns an MX-5 on my street and has the same issue with her car - so being locked out wasn't all bad.

Reactions: xpress

·
Registered
24 Posts
i had kind of the same prob yest...had to go on a long journey in the morning.....and there was ice on the car...wanted to get the ice scraper..bt it was in the boot of the car...and guess wht...boot wasnt opening..!!!! learned my lesson....got a spare one yest evening...just in case..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.