BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,my car is BMW F20 116i 2012.
I wonder where is oil temperature sensor which is showing me temperature of an oil in hidden menu.
So maybe i will use it to make some external one so oil temperature will be always to hand.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I wouldn’t use that temp sensor for an external gauge as it is on the can bus network I think so you could interrupt the bus line affecting other things.
Best to fit a seperate sensor for what you want to do, although on a 116 I cannot see a need to have an oil temp in my opinion. If it was a 135 or 140 then possibly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn’t use that temp sensor for an external gauge as it is on the can bus network I think so you could interrupt the bus line affecting other things.
Best to fit a seperate sensor for what you want to do, although on a 116 I cannot see a need to have an oil temp in my opinion. If it was a 135 or 140 then possibly.
Thank you very much for answear.
I didn’t think about it you helped me a lot with not having some computer problems.
Do you know maybe some place I can put it in without drilling?
I need it because I am young driver so insurance is stopping me with buying some faster car and i like to drive fast so i would like to have oil temperature to hand.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
A oil temperature sensor is just a variable resistor, so it should be fine to tap for external oil gauge.
Sensor itself is not connected to can bus.

And this sensor should be located near oilfilter house.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A oil temperature sensor is just a variable resistor, so it should be fine to tap for external oil gauge.
Sensor itself is not connected to can bus.

And this sensor should be located near oilfilter house.
Thank you for reply.
So can I make a new wireing without any foults in computer?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
It should't because your not interupting ecu signal. But external gauge has to be calibrated for your sensor....

So I think best solution is buying adapter, you can mount two sensors. One for car gauge, one for external gauge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It should't because your not interupting ecu signal. But external gauge has to be calibrated for your sensor....

So I think best solution is buying adapter, you can mount two sensors. One for car gauge, one for external gauge.
Alright,thank you very much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts