BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my e36 knowing it had a short "to do" list to go along with it but i wasn't prepared for one thing...

The one thing I thought i'd leave until last was the faulty horn and when I investigated I found this

those are the horn and airbag wires just casually hanging from the column,I couldn't find anything that they would even possibly connect to and found out that part of the slip ring was missing:confused

So.....took a trip to my local BMW dealer to see if i could get the parts required and the guy there informed me that the parts come in an entire retrofit steering wheel kit the price of which was 1500euros:jaw-dropping,

but the nice guys in a North Dublin Car dismantlers sorted me out with an alternative wheel,airbag,slipring etc for 120euros and after 8 months searching and countless times having to shout at people when I would have preferred to Beep at them,its all working fine now:thumbsup

So the lesson for all ya'll out there may seem a bit of a silly one but just don't make the same mistake I did, those sliprings are c*nts to find second hand especially with the wires still connected and really expensive from a dealer.

Peace out:thumbsup

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it never was, something I seriously overlooked but to be fair why someone would have done this in the first place escapes me completely!!

He/She took the outer piece of the slip ring off for no reason then had no plan to replace it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.