BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Read Only
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well we had our first snow of the year here tonight, and I got caught out in my BM 530d in it, as some of you will know am new to BMW, only had this lady since end of Sept 2021. We got half inch of wet snow and she was less than useless in it, lost traction straight away. What were BM thinking of, did they not test it in the snow before launching this car, it so needs a LSD its unreal.

I am very use to driving in slippy conditions, but my 530d has NO traction AT ALL, NON its bloody dangerous it has so little. I had an Opel Manta GTE back in the 80s which was rear drive with an open Diff, and was way better in the snow, she would go thru several inches without to many probs, yes wheel spin but had traction to get through it.

BMW should be ashamed to have put this on market, it is dangerous there is so little grip, and for what the price of a LSD, with there purchasing power SHOCKING.
Looks like am gunna have to bite the bullet and save up for a Quaife ATB unit, Oh thats going to hurt, am guessing 2grand fitted or in that region, but I cant live with that shit.

Thank god I kept my Volvo S60 D5 looks like shes my winter wheels, 8yrs older and with an electronic LSD as standard on a base spec model. Good Old Volvo

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Winter tyres and turning off the traction control works for me but rare we get any here.
Love going to our daughters when it snows lol not to see her so much but a play in the snow lol.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've only had my f11 535d out once in the snow and was pleasantly surprised how well it did with traction control engaged.
I will say, though, that my expectations were very low, so the fact that it moved at all was a bonus

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
All depends entirely on the tyres. BMWs tend to come with 'performance' summer tyres which in turn tend to be less effective in the snow. You get some people saying they were broadly OK (@flynn50) above for example, and others who claim total disaster (me). There's nothing magic about either of our situations - purely whether the summer tyres in question have a pattern that's better or worse in snow.

The arm chair experts regularly 'diss' the X5s as being useless in snow - but as @Alan G and I will both attest, they're pretty much unstoppable on winter rubber. Quite happy wading up to their axles in the stuff. But they come from the factory on very wide high performance summer rubber because that maximises the ride/handling/car-like behaviour, so when snow/ice comes, they're a total liability unless you do something about it. On the continent of course they mandate tyre changes between Oct and March so it's not even a consideration.

I run all of mine on winters are they're absolutely fine. During the beast from the east I got from Cardiff to Newbury at an average of 40mph without touching tarmac on the M4 once. And that was in a 430ft/lb rear wheel drive 635D. Straddling the outer and middle lanes whilst miles of traffic sat stranded in the slow lane going nowhere. No fuss, no bother - apart from the damn screenwash freezing up. There's nothing mechanically wrong with your car - just inappropriate tyres for the situation.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I was on Pirelli P0 all round FYI.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Thanks - interesting. I found Bridgestone Potenza RE050s to be functional in the snow, but Michelin Diamaris and Eagle F1s to be a total liability to the point I couldn't get the car up my drive especially on compacted snow! And then I gave up and went for winters!

·
Read Only
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
All depends entirely on the tyres. BMWs tend to come with 'performance' summer tyres which in turn tend to be less effective in the snow. You get some people saying they were broadly OK (@flynn50) above for example, and others who claim total disaster (me). There's nothing magic about either of our situations - purely whether the summer tyres in question have a pattern that's better or worse in snow.

The arm chair experts regularly 'diss' the X5s as being useless in snow - but as @Alan G and I will both attest, they're pretty much unstoppable on winter rubber. Quite happy wading up to their axles in the stuff. But they come from the factory on very wide high performance summer rubber because that maximises the ride/handling/car-like behaviour, so when snow/ice comes, they're a total liability unless you do something about it. On the continent of course they mandate tyre changes between Oct and March so it's not even a consideration.

I run all of mine on winters are they're absolutely fine. During the beast from the east I got from Cardiff to Newbury at an average of 40mph without touching tarmac on the M4 once. And that was in a 430ft/lb rear wheel drive 635D. Straddling the outer and middle lanes whilst miles of traffic sat stranded in the slow lane going nowhere. No fuss, no bother - apart from the damn screenwash freezing up. There's nothing mechanically wrong with your car - just inappropriate tyres for the situation.
Armchair experts Oh, Well I ve owned 2 Jeeps 4.0L Cherokee & 3.1d Grand Cherokee real off roaders not toy ones, and where regularly taken off road and to Europe in winter off roading, I raced Motorcross for 10yrs, I ve had over 20 cars in my lifetime, driven ALL over the world in way worse conditions than UK gets, in many different types of vehicle on many types and brands of tyre both civi and military so I think I know what am talking about.
And I dont care what you say an on open diff on a car as heavy and as powerful as the E60 530d is CRAP penny pinching, mechanicaly incompetent on part of BMW, I note you dont say what spec the 635d and year was, ever considered it possibly had an LSD, BMW USE Quaife diffs in some models and have there own E diff also used on many Msport models, yes tyres make BIG difference, but we were not talking about 6" of snow, barely a covering and not huge wide tyres at 225/50/17s, my Volvo has same width and pisses through same conditions and way worse. So the facts speak for themselves.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
To be clear @Si Bear the 'armchair experts' comments was absolutely not aimed at you! Although re-reading above I should have made that clearer. It was actually a reference to what I perceive to be a lot of bile about X5s being useless in snow (on other notable UK sites) when on the right tyres they're excellent. I was purely seeking to illustrate the point about tyres being critical to performance - and BMWs seem to be particularly sensitive to it, even the AWD ones like my E53.

My 6 Series is a 2010 E63 635D MSport - open diff, but 'managed' for want of a better word through the ESP/brakes to essentially spoof it across the axle. I absolutely concur with your experience in the 530d in that my 635D is also entirely undriveable in snow without winters. To your thoughts about Quaife, I'd save the £2k and stick a good set of winters on it and see how you feel - worst case you still want a Quaife and will get the full benefit and be able to stop, best case you're £2k better off and happy without it.

Anyway, no offence intended.

·
Read Only
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be clear @[Redacted] the 'armchair experts' comments was absolutely not aimed at you! Although re-reading above I should have made that clearer. It was actually a reference to what I perceive to be a lot of bile about X5s being useless in snow (on other notable UK sites) when on the right tyres they're excellent. I was purely seeking to illustrate the point about tyres being critical to performance - and BMWs seem to be particularly sensitive to it, even the AWD ones like my E53.

My 6 Series is a 2010 E63 635D MSport - open diff, but 'managed' for want of a better word through the ESP/brakes to essentially spoof it across the axle. I absolutely concur with your experience in the 530d in that my 635D is also entirely undriveable in snow without winters. To your thoughts about Quaife, I'd save the £2k and stick a good set of winters on it and see how you feel - worst case you still want a Quaife and will get the full benefit and be able to stop, best case you're £2k better off and happy without it.

Anyway, no offence intended.
Hey no worries no offence taken, although I will admit I tend to be a little terse, not deliberately I suffered a serious head injury whilst in the Military (Career Ender), and sometimes (Most Of Time;)) No matter how much I read something I ve written I dont see lets call it the candour of my words. So again no need to apologise in any form.
I appreciate the feedback. If am to be 100% honest, as much as anything, it gives me an excuse to put a ATB Diff in her, not only will it give me better traction in slippy conditions, it will also make her a lot more fun to drive, I do like to hang my bum out on a quiet roundabout (The car, not me personally, that wouldnt be pretty). So its the last bit of Boy Racer making an excuse to indulge myself as I approach 60 rapidly.
My wheels need a Refurb, I may relegate them to winters instead and shod them with some snow/winters and treat myself to something bit smarter Rim wise.

N.B Just a note too forum members if I do write something a bit blunt or straight too the point please do note it wont be intended to offend as explained above, alot of time I just read it differently to most of you. Thanks, and feel free to point it out if I do

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
If am to be 100% honest, as much as anything, it gives me an excuse to put a ATB Diff in her
Having just had a look at the Birds website, it appears that a Quaife unit for mine is £1392+VAT fitted so not quite as bad as the £2k I had guessed... Guess I know what I'll be doing if the current one goes bang (first one gave out on me at 28k under warranty, this one's still fine at 105k but we'll see)! (y) :cool:

·
Read Only
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having just had a look at the Birds website, it appears that a Quaife unit for mine is £1392+VAT fitted so not quite as bad as the £2k I had guessed... Guess I know what I'll be doing if the current one goes bang (first one gave out on me at 28k under warranty, this one's still fine at 105k but we'll see)! (y) :cool:
I think you must have got unlucky with 1st, maybe manufacturing defect, diffs are pretty rugged nowadays mines done 120000 and quiet as a mouse (He says) Volvo 200000. Glad am not out tonight proper 4x4 & M/S tyre weather we got couple inches of white stuffand still coming down.
Plant Landscape Grass Road Road surface

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Crikey that looks rough! Quite breezy in Cambridgeshire but nothing noteworthy (touch wood)!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well we had our first snow of the year here tonight, and I got caught out in my BM 530d in it, as some of you will know am new to BMW, only had this lady since end of Sept 2021. We got half inch of wet snow and she was less than useless in it, lost traction straight away. What were BM thinking of, did they not test it in the snow before launching this car, it so needs a LSD its unreal.

I am very use to driving in slippy conditions, but my 530d has NO traction AT ALL, NON its bloody dangerous it has so little. I had an Opel Manta GTE back in the 80s which was rear drive with an open Diff, and was way better in the snow, she would go thru several inches without to many probs, yes wheel spin but had traction to get through it.

BMW should be ashamed to have put this on market, it is dangerous there is so little grip, and for what the price of a LSD, with there purchasing power SHOCKING.
Looks like am gunna have to bite the bullet and save up for a Quaife ATB unit, Oh thats going to hurt, am guessing 2grand fitted or in that region, but I cant live with that shit.

Thank god I kept my Volvo S60 D5 looks like shes my winter wheels, 8yrs older and with an electronic LSD as standard on a base spec model. Good Old Volvo
Dont despair mate,
Just get some 6mm part worn winter tyres Goodyear/Continental/Michelin/Nokian. Dont buy crap names. Dont buy under 6mm as at 4mm they are not that good anymore. Your car will be fine!

·
Read Only
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dont despair mate,
Just get some 6mm part worn winter tyres Goodyear/Continental/Michelin/Nokian. Dont buy crap names. Dont buy under 6mm as at 4mm they are not that good anymore. Your car will be fine!
No worries whatsoever with me, but thanx for concern Guys. Thanx for advice also, but I have even better policy:) Stoke the fire, cook a good meal, and settle down for a few days of RnR, with a cold Stella, and a warm Stella if thats her name HAHAHA

View of the hills pretty as, and thats the way its staying A VIEW, Forecast says 11c & Rain by Tuesday so it will sharp be gone. Any of you who have a Dollop also, should employ the Modern stance. I CANT GO OUT BECAUSE OF HEALTH AND SAFETY, ITS TOO DANGEROUS LMAO Have a day or 2 at home, you probably deserve it. Screw the £££ and work.
Heres an update photo Old Volvo got couple inch on her now
Eye Car Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Read Only
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I contacted Birds Autos about a Quaife ATB Diff. NOT as bad as I thought, At £1550 Fitted and with the dreaded Vat. Am going to have a late Xmas Present from Santa. Oh I am Santa in this House, Well Xmas and Birthday then and not going out for few months LOL. Be worth it should transform my Cars Handling

1 - 16 of 16 Posts