BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

I have just got my head around my volvo 850s querks, now the other half wants a BMW 3series estate in auto. 96 onwards.

I would be very graitfull if anybody could let me know of any common problems to look for on such a car. and what/if there is anything importent to check?

how do these cars cope with high millage? might be looking at one with 180k but will full main dealer service history, any comments?

seems to be a grate forum and will contribute what i can..

many thanks

james

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
what engine variant is she looking at? there can and will be things to check for/be aware of with certain engines!

Trouble with BMWs is they fall into the hands of people that can't afford to maintain them, so there's more crap than good out there. Mileage isn't a problem as the BMWs are generally very hard wearing so cvan take and hide miles well, but the full dealer history indicates the owner at least ensured the car was maintained at some cost....... sounds like a very good initial sign to me.

As mentioned, front and rear suspension bushes, rear trailing arm bushes, tend to be the main culprits suspension wise. But its worth ensuring the shock absorbers are working correctly with that mileage along with the anti roll bar links and bushes.

Loose interior trim and fixings can be an issue on some cars, so just make sure all the second rate plastic bits that BMW love to use are in place securely.

I'd ensure that the gearbox oil has been changed or at least change it immedaitely if you purchase the vehicle.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Front control arm rear bushes are prone to going as are, rear shock top mounts, rear trailing arms etc all due to wear and tear.

Also be worth casting your eye over the wiring that passes from the vehicle to the boot lid (common problem that causes all types of electrical faults within the vehicle).

I was curious to know what condition mine was in so last weekend I peeled back the rubber sheath and found four wires that had broken insulation and had bare wire exposed. 5 minutes later, all was re-insulated and back together:thumbsup

I'm sure Ronnie will be able to mention a fair few more things to look out for:hihi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.