BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there what is the fitments for a e36 coupe? ie 5X100 OCD etc doesn't make much sense to me, and also what is the largest size alloys i could fit to my coupe without modding the arches or running into probs, i was thinking 18s?

·
Registered
78 Posts
5x120 pcd means the stud spacing. You want 5x120mm not 5x100mm unless your looking for wheels for a golf.
e36's can run up to 20" on stock arches with the right widths/offsets but as a general rule anything above 18 is pushing it.

Ideally you want to be looking at 17/18", width of 7.5j to 8.5j and an offset of somewhere between et35 and et45. Those sorts of sizes should see you with ok fitment, no rubbing.

5/6/7/8 series wheels dont fit without arch modification, neither do e30 m3 wheels.
e46 wheels will fit your e46 but in some rare cases the offset may be so high that you need a spacer on the front to prevent rubbing on the suspension.
z3 wheels (not z3m), 1 series wheels and new 3 series wheels are all good afaik.

·
Registered
44 Posts
17" Alloys

Hi I got a set of 17" alloys on my '95 328 con, they are off a new e46 they have 225/45 - 17 tyres on and they fit fine without any mods to the arches and don't rub either

;)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
5x120 pcd means the stud spacing. You want 5x120mm not 5x100mm unless your looking for wheels for a golf.
e36's can run up to 20" on stock arches with the right widths/offsets but as a general rule anything above 18 is pushing it.

Ideally you want to be looking at 17/18", width of 7.5j to 8.5j and an offset of somewhere between et35 and et45. Those sorts of sizes should see you with ok fitment, no rubbing.

5/6/7/8 series wheels dont fit without arch modification, neither do e30 m3 wheels.
e46 wheels will fit your e46 but in some rare cases the offset may be so high that you need a spacer on the front to prevent rubbing on the suspension.
z3 wheels (not z3m), 1 series wheels and new 3 series wheels are all good afaik.
18's seem to be the most favourable choice as they still look big, the wheel and tyre packages are well priced, the handling is not drastically affected and the pot holes don't cause too much of a problem.

One thing I will say is that when I fitted my 8.5 x 18 wheels and lowered 60mm I had to roll the lip on the rear arch. Since this I've NEVER had to touch them again and I've had a further 2 sets of 19" and now running on 20" RYM's and lowered on H&R coilovers:cool

1 - 4 of 4 Posts