BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve had my f32 for coming up to 2 years now and am at that point where I’m looking to see what’s next.

Having a little one, the coupe is not ideal, but is remarkably spacious in the back. I need rear doors and good boot space.

I came from a 2.0t turbo petrol Audi TT which I loved then moved to the f32. Now looking to see what’s next, I’m either going to go SUV (x5) or sporty 4 door with big boot (s5 / a7 biTdi).

I like the look of the 6 gran coupe but boot space isn’t amazing and rear seats aren’t as good as the 4 series. The new 6 GT just doesn’t look as good, so if I stick with bmw, it’ll likely be a 2015 x5 4.0d M Sport, but the Audi’s are turning my head.

My question to you is what car did you have before and what are you likely to have next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Circumstances change as you go along, so something ideal at one stage isn't of interest at the next, for me when had two little ones and a Lurcher a 330d Tourer hit the spot, especially as bought it new and specified built in 2 stage booster seats, later doing longish school runs a 7 Series with a TV hit the spot, no dog by then, but huge boot, now a 5 series with a decent motor and a Boxster which really was a bike replacement (K1200S), at one stage an X5 was looming but had a divorce instead :)

What about an X3 - these days as big as an old X5, but with a decent lump under the bonnet - not that familiar with whats available.

740d?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
X3 does now look a lot better then it ever has done. Very good shout, looked at the x4 too but something feels amiss.

Sq5 also in the mix but think the BMW’s look better... unless I can stretch to the new one. At this stage wanting to avoid a pcp deal.

740d would be amazing but maybe when I’m a little older and want the ultimate cruiser

·
Registered
892 Posts
Same sort of story here. I’ve always kept a sport car as a separate thing but have had a few different family cars as I’ve gone along.

I started with a Golf, first kid, that was ok but space on longer trips was a bit tricky but once I found the yo-yo buggy things got a lot easier.

Bought a 435 as when I was a kid we always had a four seater drop top and it was a lot of fun. Still had the golf. Neither did the job so chopped the golf for an X1. That was a bit random as there are a load of cheaper cars in the same bracket with the same sort of spec, but the big boot space and interior compared to an X3 and X5 swung it. Those are bigger cars but not hugely so and I needed something a bit more sensible.

The good news is we kept the 435, and the trade in on the 650 was so bad even my wife said to keep it.

For the family car my main priorities were boot space, comfort and petrol engine (London so usually short journeys), the X1 ticked more boxes. I wanted an estate but wife said no, so here I am with the X1 for the moment. Went silly on spec again so probably going to keep it around a while. I tend not to chop and change too often.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same sort of story here. I’ve always kept a sport car as a separate thing but have had a few different family cars as I’ve gone along.

I started with a Golf, first kid, that was ok but space on longer trips was a bit tricky but once I found the yo-yo buggy things got a lot easier.

Bought a 435 as when I was a kid we always had a four seater drop top and it was a lot of fun. Still had the golf. Neither did the job so chopped the golf for an X1. That was a bit random as there are a load of cheaper cars in the same bracket with the same sort of spec, but the big boot space and interior compared to an X3 and X5 swung it. Those are bigger cars but not hugely so and I needed something a bit more sensible.

The good news is we kept the 435, and the trade in on the 650 was so bad even my wife said to keep it.

For the family car my main priorities were boot space, comfort and petrol engine (London so usually short journeys), the X1 ticked more boxes. I wanted an estate but wife said no, so here I am with the X1 for the moment. Went silly on spec again so probably going to keep it around a while. I tend not to chop and change too often.
Good shout.

Wife has a c-class merc which I hate driving.

Little mans pram + all of our luggage fills the boot and then some. So leaning towards either hatchback style Audi cars or suv. I’d love a 435d or 440i gran coupe. But it’s a lot of money to upgrade and keep the same interior (albeit a different beast under the hood) tempted to just ride it out until the new 4 series launches in 2020.

Went to the Audi garage but there’s just something missing from the SQ5, I can’t quite put my finger on what but it’s missing something. Think if I went for x3 I’d always covet and x5, but with just the 3 of us (for now) it doesn’t make sense to have that much room.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Good shout.

Wife has a c-class merc which I hate driving.

Little mans pram + all of our luggage fills the boot and then some. So leaning towards either hatchback style Audi cars or suv. I’d love a 435d or 440i gran coupe. But it’s a lot of money to upgrade and keep the same interior (albeit a different beast under the hood) tempted to just ride it out until the new 4 series launches in 2020.

Went to the Audi garage but there’s just something missing from the SQ5, I can’t quite put my finger on what but it’s missing something. Think if I went for x3 I’d always covet and x5, but with just the 3 of us (for now) it doesn’t make sense to have that much room.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
My perceptions are that Audi steering and handling isn't quite what BMWs are able to do, if not pushing on isn't your thing then that might be of little concern, only based on several reviews in an A8 when the 730d was likely, as for the 730d Sport that has been one of the best cars I've had, it appeared to shrink around you when driving, but yeah, parking could be tight and multi storeys not viable really.
A sudden family trip to the north of Scotland was epic in the 730d, what it was designed for.

I test drove an X5 when they were current X3 size, that worked well.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Just a note, my brother has a Q5 which I drove, parents have had an X5 since 2004

The Q5 is nice enough but the boot seemed small for the size of car, nice engine in it but hard to come by. Very boring interior.

I like the older X5 but I seem totally unable to get in and out of it properly (it’s me) and the boot is small for the size of car plus quite a high load lip.

Saying that I’m guessing the new X3 is probably like the old X5 given the Elvis trend we seem to have these days!

·
Registered
42 Posts
After 7 extremely reliable years with a Korean 4 sedan we knew it was time for a little SUV, so we moved to a 2013 4WD Ford Escape (aka Kuga)... Such a nice car when it worked, very enjoyable and enough off road capable for us. It could handle crossing a shallow river and going to muddy hills with confidence... Until it was not reliable. I sold mu bike and bought a E60 525i LCI quite cheap to replace the bike... Plenty space nice boot very confy... Engine... Well it a 525i. 6 month later we sold the Ford and got a E70 LCI xdrive 35i. More than enough space for 3, huge boot, superb engine for us and it hasn't been proven but seems like it will handle off road just like the Ford or better. If you do not need a SUV and like the more refined ride... Try a 5 series with a +300HP engine.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So we have a massive twist in this plot...

BMW just called me to tell me they’re doing 0% offers on the 4 series and are offering rather large deposit contributions on 430 and 435 gran coupes...

Now the gran coupe ticks all the boxes for me providing I can get one with a digital dash.

But could I stick with one for another 4 years given that I currently have a 4 series coupe and where probably 18 months away from the G22.

Do I fall for the sales tactic or ride it out and get the newer model or jump marque entirely.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Then after you've had it a while, maybe 18 months or so, you could maybe have a remap to around 400bhp... just because you can.....

I might not be helping :) Mwahahaha

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 435GC, coming from a 330d touring and before that an E60 530d. I love the GC. It is fast, every bit as economical as the out going cars and nicely spec'd. It's put me into a strange position. I'm at a point where financially I could change again and go for something like an M2, M3/4 or 40i of some kind. However the 435 is so good (for my needs) that I can't get excited about changing, as I have everything I need already. For that reason I'm keeping it for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a 435GC, coming from a 330d touring and before that an E60 530d. I love the GC. It is fast, every bit as economical as the out going cars and nicely spec'd. It's put me into a strange position. I'm at a point where financially I could change again and go for something like an M2, M3/4 or 40i of some kind. However the 435 is so good (for my needs) that I can't get excited about changing, as I have everything I need already. For that reason I'm keeping it for the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
One of my colleagues went from a 535d to a 540i, says he misses the 535d but the noise the 40i makes is intoxicating.

I do around 25k miles a year so couldn’t justify a 440i as much as I’d love to.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I moved to BMW from a Honda civic. After a stream of sporty hatches, coupes and a roadster. The arrival of our little boy forced me into a five door family car. Always hated that honda. It wasn't a bad car but I think it was just circumstances and the fact I'd had to give up on more interesting cars. The solution was to get my wife into a larger car which we now use for family duties. That allowed me to go for the E92 which is still very practical for a two door coupe and still fits pushchair and kiddy stuff when necessary. Sadly, although I do like the BMW, it's just too expensive for me. I spent too much on it in the first place and a recent horrendous bill brought home the reality of owning a prestige car. So next will be a small hot or warm hatch for me. Possibly a fiesta ST if funds allow or maybe even a Swift Sport (older shape) which is a car I've always liked.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have come from a RS4 purely because road tax and fuel is only going to go up next year. Plus I only used it when the sun was out..

Having the 420d it cheap to run and caneave or anywhere really without looking.ivwr your shoulder or seeing who is knocking at the door so late...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have come from a RS4 purely because road tax and fuel is only going to go up next year. Plus I only used it when the sun was out..

Having the 420d it cheap to run and caneave or anywhere really without looking.ivwr your shoulder or seeing who is knocking at the door so late...
You must miss the driving experience. 4 series coupe is a sexy looking coupe though

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have come from a RS4 purely because road tax and fuel is

You must miss the driving experience. 4 series coupe is a sexy looking coupe though

Yea nothing like the RS4 loved the power and handling. So this 420d will do for a while now. She was a nice car but waisted sat in the garage

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts