BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to make a poll, but due to the amount of variation in peoples views, i will just let you voice your opinions.
This is'nt just about which is the most powerful. Its about reliability and driveability also. (M cars not included, as everyone will say M3:hihi)

Im submitting 2.
Without sounding biased, M50 engine 2.5 24v.mines the non vanos, but still very capable. Mine has done 147,000, burns a little oil through valve seals, but the bottom end is still fantastic and has lots of power, sounds nice too. Plenty of life left.

M30 3.5 litre engine, Raw and simple, but with plenty of torque, it was a dream in the 735 e32 i once owned. It needed adjustment on the tappets, as they are mechanical, I have seen plenty of these advertised with over 250,000 mile one was at 300,000 miles!! so will probably outlive me!

Its probably more difficult to say more about new engines, as no one will have reported much wrong with them yet i suspect, but if you have an opinion on them, feel free....:thumbsup

·
Registered
884 Posts
The S70 V12 from the McLaren F1.

630 horsepower and a 7.5 K redline. Yee-ha!

·
Registered
210 Posts
5.0 v10 m5 :jaw-dropping
the rule was no M-cars!! :silly

I'm going to be really contentious and go for something, while perhaps not the biggest or best, changed the way people thought about the fuel. Ladies and Gents, I give you the 325TDS unit (sorry, I have no idea what the code is!)

Sure, it's been out-shone now, but for ten years it was the finest diesel money could buy, and it served as a beacon of light as to what "could" be done.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The S70 V12 from the McLaren F1.

630 horsepower and a 7.5 K redline. Yee-ha!
:rofl
ok ok, i conceed. I'll add another rule on this debate then, affordability. I would love that engine, so i could transplant it into my 5 series, but even if i found one, i'd be robbing a bank to get the money for it.:hihi

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was going to make a poll, but due to the amount of variation in peoples views, i will just let you voice your opinions.
This is'nt just about which is the most powerful. Its about reliability and driveability also. (M cars not included, as everyone will say M3:hihi)

Im submitting 2.
Without sounding biased, M50 engine 2.5 24v.mines the non vanos, but still very capable. Mine has done 147,000, burns a little oil through valve seals, but the bottom end is still fantastic and has lots of power, sounds nice too. Plenty of life left.

M30 3.5 litre engine, Raw and simple, but with plenty of torque, it was a dream in the 735 e32 i once owned. It needed adjustment on the tappets, as they are mechanical, I have seen plenty of these advertised with over 250,000 mile one was at 300,000 miles!! so will probably outlive me!

Its probably more difficult to say more about new engines, as no one will have reported much wrong with them yet i suspect, but if you have an opinion on them, feel free....:thumbsup

No fair :frown

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the rule was no M-cars!! :silly

I'm going to be really contentious and go for something, while perhaps not the biggest or best, changed the way people thought about the fuel. Ladies and Gents, I give you the 325TDS unit (sorry, I have no idea what the code is!)

Sure, it's been out-shone now, but for ten years it was the finest diesel money could buy, and it served as a beacon of light as to what "could" be done.
Ive heard good things about this engine also, remapped can acheive 170bhp and a mountain of torque, which aint half bad for a diesel.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
My tuppence worth, sorry don't know the relevant engine codes;

From 3 series e46; the six cylinders are fantastic,

2.0 six pot; lacking in torque but sooo smooth
2.5 six pot; best blend of power,torque, smoothness
3.0 six pot; torque and power, but gruff c/w smaller capacities

And on to the 335i, what an absolute corker, but could do with a bit more character. Smooth, effortless wave of torque.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
There's quite a few good ones in the BMW range.

As mentioned above, the BMW straight 6 cyl engines are renowned, so for for me it would have to be the;

2.5 - 3.0ltr staright 6cyls. Smooth with enough performance through to the range.

However, I honestly believe that BMWs is definately on the right track with their modern 3.0ltr twin turbo units in both petrol & diesel forms (335i/335d,535d). You can never have enough torque and these just make the good 6cyl n/a engines, imo, bang on! IMo opinion, its these 6cyl engines BMW always do well with.

I have also have a soft spot for the 5.6ltr V12 in the 850csi.

·
Registered
210 Posts
which one? :silly

1 - 14 of 14 Posts