BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, was wondering what BMW you would get for £4-7K? My thoughts are either a E36 M3 evo or a E46 330. Any other suggestions? I did think of a 540 but it's probably not nimble enough for me. I also thought about an Alpina B3.3 but don't fancy an auto.

I have also considered an Audi S4 or even a fast volvo! Thing is I am a RWD BMW man!

Any suggestions for alternatives are greatly recieved. Problem is I will need a car in the next week or two!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Older Peformance Cars

E36 M3 Evo (6K should buy something worth buying)
All the hot mercs are auto's ......
Toyota Supra TT (a few late VVTI models in the £7K ish bracket - you did mention 540i so I'm guessing fuel consumption is not a major issue)
Porsche 944 S2 3.0ltr
Jaguar XKR (fast, luxurious, different but has an auto box...)

Others
E46 330i/330d (as you've mentioned)
E39 530i/530d (may get a better quality of car with a 5 series)
Alpina B10 3.3 (these ones are most manual)
Jaguar S-type R 4.2 V8 Supercharged (seriously impressive! but auto which you may not be keen on. I had the XKR with this engine & box, its a gem!!)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
M5 :thumbsup
LOL for £7K it'd probably be a money pit. Even though there are a few that sound tidy and genuine at £7-8K, I'd be wary ....... an M5 is not a car to take chances on!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
m5 for £7k...
yikes... you'll spend that again putting it right!

Personally I'd get a tidy E46 330d - good balance of practicality, performance and fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
m5 for £7k...
yikes... you'll spend that again putting it right!

Personally I'd get a tidy E46 330d - good balance of practicality, performance and fuel efficiency.
I saw two going several weeks back, both at same dealer, 2000 cars, one with 67K, the other with 74K, with FSH, looked clean enough but on one the interior was showing signs on slight negligence by passengers, engines sounded sweet enough, pulled well but I wasn't convinced by the amount road noise, I'm sure either wheel bearings were in the early stages of wear or possibly early symptoms of typical suspension components starting to fail. Even though I was tempted I walked away as the dealer wouldn't allow me to take a long test drive so I assumed something must be a miss somewhere along the lines.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Personally I absolutely LOVE M5's but christ they're expensive to run... just replacing the pads and disks alone would need a bank loan! Guess that's why they depreciate so fast, people who can afford them want a new one, and people like me in the second hand market can't really afford to run them.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Personally I absolutely LOVE M5's but christ they're expensive to run... just replacing the pads and disks alone would need a bank loan! Guess that's why they depreciate so fast, people who can afford them want a new one, and people like me in the second hand market can't really afford to run them.
Thats why a full history + invoices is imperative and ideally a maximum of two owners as after this maintenance will start to suffer. I have seen a few where owners have missed a couple of services and then returned to the dealer for a service and a stamp in the book, so they are doing the bst part of 25-30K with no maintenance.

You just have to look at the number of E36 M3's about. Pristine ones (early or late) sell for a premium and the owners tend to hang onto them for respectable periods, anything else needs to be sold cheap and imo is an unattractive proposition.

·
Registered
210 Posts
depends what you want from the car - if you're a family man then any of the above. If it's purely for you to shark about in then don't discount the S14A 200SX, or even an S15 import. How about a Honda S2000?

aaallll depends what your needs are!

·
Administrator
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the comments! I noticed the other day that even XK8's are within budget.

Within reason I am not too bothered about running costs. I don't do a huge mileage so the difference over the year isn't that much.

A 2 seater would work. I thought the S2000's were closer to £10k? Was tempted with a late MX5, don't laugh, seriously light, 2 litre engine, 6 speed box, lsd etc.

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
mx5 - not at all. I've heard nothing but great reviews from them and that;s from petrol heads

may not be great ina straight line, but my goodness just wait til the twisties. Very fun car i believe!

Been in a S2000, awesome car, simply awesome! Hope you get something soon mate! Red :)

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
if it were me with that sorta monet i'd be looking at 330's too.
after considering going retro first though lol
mk1or 2 rs2000 if in that price range
what do e30 m3's run at? lol
then reality would kick back in...e46 330 ;)

·
Administrator
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, looked at the E30 M3's, they are a bit out of my budget.

As for the MX5, the 1.6 can do the 'ring in about 9 minutes! The later one's look a lot better as well! It's a more modern, reliable Lotus Elan. E36 M3's have a bit of a image problem as well, they're a chav chariot.

The 330 is definitely the sensible choice, however the E36 M3 is a real beast! I have come close to buying one a couple of times before. However, the 330 is still in the running!

Need to get something soon and preferabily RWD as I am starting to get used to FWD diesel power...

·
Registered
210 Posts
incidentally - I happpen to know of a terriffic MX-5 that the owner is considering selling:

caged, poly-bushed, suspensioned...and turbo'd.

5k.

·
Registered
753 Posts
=Need to get something soon and preferabily RWD as I am starting to get used to FWD diesel power...
lol at least the oil burner does more than 220 mile to a tank of fuel unlike my c30 hire car..

1 - 20 of 49 Posts