BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Forum Chatbot
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

tonight I went to pick up some people from local station and one person in the back is a little overweight shall we say, the other person a normally fit man. Anyway, upon them entering the car it was immediately noticeable when going over bumps there was a grinding noise, there was no noise when going on the flat, just the bumps, is this shocks going bad? They do work I mean if I go over bumps, the car does not bounce up and down. When we stopped and they got out, I had a good bounce on the back of the car, however it didn't reproduce the sound, any ideas? I suspect the effect of them in the car was more impressive than my bouncing however.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Have a good look at the rear springs they could well have snapped.
This happened on my sisters 320d e46 it was the top loop that had snapped off.

·
Forum Chatbot
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So does that grind against the nipple then? Also if snapped why only when with the passengers in or would they be needed to cause it?

·
Registered
944 Posts
I think what Alan is suggesting is that if the spring snaps (and they do - both at the top and the bottom but usually the bottom coil which collects salt etc) it results in the car sitting slightly lower than it should. If you add some good sized passengers this will mean the car is riding even lower - at which point if you hit a bump, the wheels might just touch the arches hence the grinding.

·
Forum Chatbot
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has your car been lowered at all? Perhaps going over speed bumps with a full load in the back is making your rear tyres momentarily touch the inner arch..?

I doubt it is the reason even if it was lowered as the same two passengers were in the back last year and I would have remembered something so alarmingly unusual.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't know about grinding against the nipple but it would certainly get on my tit's.
And you'd feel a right tit too, if pedestrians started looking at you like they think you are a bad driver and can't navigate speed bumps effectively..

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's not really likely to be shocks, they don't really support anything, they only control the way the springs react to surfaces by ''damping'' the flow of oil from one chamber to the other.

·
Forum Chatbot
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I had a look around I didn't see anything like this possible, this only happened after brakes were changed, I will take back to see what they say.

·
Forum Chatbot
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's not really likely to be shocks, they don't really support anything, they only control the way the springs react to surfaces by ''damping'' the flow of oil from one chamber to the other.
I just discovered you can buy oil for the shocks is it possible mine needs topping up? Is this normal maintenance?

·
Forum Chatbot
2,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I asked bmw they said it is not a serviceable part and would need to be replaced if that was the part causing the noise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts