1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as my signature says:

"SPEEDING, It's only an offence if you get caught"

Well I got caught.

84 in a 70 by a camera van, I have to say I thought they only prosecuted when you were going a tad faster than this, must have been a slow day.
(no pun intended!)

So watch out if you are on the A9 Edinburgh Perth Road near to Allan Water, they are watching!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
820 Posts
84 in a 70 by a camera van, I have to say I thought they only prosecuted when you were going a tad faster than this, must have been a slow day.
(no pun intended!)
!
I always thought it was 10% of the limit plus 1mph you were allowed so 70 +7+1=78,
40+4+1=45 etc

·
Registered
77 Posts
The usual rule is 10% + 2 mph, So 79 in theory you would get away with

84 lol yer ticket for sure and your clocks was prob showing closer to 90

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Sorry you got caught wattnv - i live a bit down from perth

I thought it was an urban myth that you are allowed x percent allowance?

Anyway my comiseratons as I remember I have tested my cars handling (on a clear stretch) by slamming on the anchors. Hope you get lucky...... Red :)

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Well as my signature says:

"SPEEDING, It's only an offence if you get caught"

Well I got caught.

(no pun intended!)

So watch out if you are on the A9 Edinburgh Perth Road near to Allan Water, they are watching!

Lol at your old signature :lol

On the flip side, sorry to hear you got pinched.... I think its 10% they give so 77mph ....

Have a read on www.pepipoo.com

and you will find out if you can get off it or not,....

Theres often a way :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Think yourselves lucky guys! Here in jersey we have a half a mile road that you can do 40 on the rest are 30, 20 and the green lanes are 15! 7 years ago i got a 55 pounds fine for doing 19 mph in a green lane!:jaw-dropping The boys in blue have nothing else to do here! They're on every corner:mad

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for the replies, by the time I saw the van it was too late, as someone said the clock was showing closer to 90 so I am counting myself lucky. First time caught in 13 years driving!

I'll need to be more careful in future, don't want the insurance premiums rising cos of points.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i was always told they have to allow 10% as most european cars speedo are calibrated to be 10% under speed:thumbsup so thats where they came up with the 10%, if you have sat nav with speed readout like i do and you go along at say a steady 70mph sat will confirm this as it gives true speed reading:cool

·
Registered
313 Posts
i have seen this effect too casey. i wonder why they are calibrated 10% under speed?

also, sorry to hear about your brush with the speed cameras wattnv.

·
Banned
478 Posts
i have seen this effect too casey. i wonder why they are calibrated 10% under speed?

also, sorry to hear about your brush with the speed cameras wattnv.
Cars are usually calibrated 10% under the actual speed... This is because its better to be under the speed limit that over it and manufacturers have to take into account the tyre/wheel sizes when it comes to calibration. Most if not all now are digital speedos, so dont have a cable but 100% perfect calibration is virtually impossible, hence the need to have this 10% leeway with the manufacturers. This is also why the police will give leeway on the road speeds.

Be warned fitting different wheels will affect the calibration of the speedo, so your speed will be different to what it was before the wheels where fitted...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Be warned fitting different wheels will affect the calibration of the speedo, so your speed will be different to what it was before the wheels where fitted...
What he said.
i've got 18" on with 235/40 on the front and 255/35 on the rear,
and i also have a good Sat nav which said i was doing 99.3mph when my normal spedometer said i was doing 100mph (on route to Le Mans 2008 -great drive).

Actually i also had a brush with the Rozzers in December2008, i got done for 90mph in a 70mph limit. (M4)
but i went to produce a few days late. & Guess what they told me at the cop shop...
they cant take my licence to process because its likely i have already been issued a court date. (which means i will also have to pay court fees)
but how long does it take to send a letter out, its now February.
i'm hoping the coppers forgot to file the case or something.

Anyone know how long this stuff can take? :confused
is there anything i can Do?
They followed me from 1-2 cars behind in a 4x4.:eek
(yea i ok i'm blind/stupid)

·
Registered
478 Posts
What he said.
i've got 18" on with 235/40 on the front and 255/35 on the rear,
and i also have a good Sat nav which said i was doing 99.3mph when my normal spedometer said i was doing 100mph (on route to Le Mans 2008 -great drive).

Actually i also had a brush with the Rozzers in December2008, i got done for 90mph in a 70mph limit. (M4)
but i went to produce a few days late. & Guess what they told me at the cop shop...
they cant take my licence to process because its likely i have already been issued a court date. (which means i will also have to pay court fees)
but how long does it take to send a letter out, its now February.
i'm hoping the coppers forgot to file the case or something.

Anyone know how long this stuff can take? :confused
is there anything i can Do?
They followed me from 1-2 cars behind in a 4x4.:eek
(yea i ok i'm blind/stupid)
Ask for the film and any other evidence to review before going to court, if at any time during your PACE check etc. other cars block your vehicle from sight then IIRC the speed check is null and void. I always use this method when being quartered (a 1/4 mile check), usually by drifting in between two lorry's or in front of something larger than me, it's usually enough for them to go elsewhere.... :)

Although the other end is when I get followed, when I'm doing under 70, and other people are passing me, and the cops still sit behind me..... cruise control and drop 1mph for every 0.1 miles covered. :) Had them down to 44 mph once.....

T

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
The prosecution threshold is normally 10% plus 2 mph, as a few people have stated.

If you get pulled by traffic fuzz doing more than that, you might be OK as long as you weren't taking the mickey (and you show the right attitude).

Camera vans are out the to catch everyone possible, so if you're speeding you can almost guarantee that you're gonna get points.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The prosecution threshold is normally 10% plus 2 mph, as a few people have stated.

If you get pulled by traffic fuzz doing more than that, you might be OK as long as you weren't taking the mickey (and you show the right attitude).

Camera vans are out the to catch everyone possible, so if you're speeding you can almost guarantee that you're gonna get points.
Camera vans are easier to out wit as well......:hihi

·
Registered
478 Posts
Have you asked about a speed awareness course, it could get you off the points, if you do a days course.

Tom

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you asked about a speed awareness course, it could get you off the points, if you do a days course.

Tom
Nothing mentioned on the notice of intended prosecution, spoke to woman at the ticket office who said I can expect 3 points and £60, I'm going to just take it as unlike the majority of neds/chavs I have a job and can't rely on the government purse to pay for a top notch solicitor through legal aid to argue my case in the district court.

Lesson learned.... sat nav with mobile camera van locations will be getting purchased - any recommendations? Oh just realised the lesson learned should be.......don't speed.........where's the fun in that tho... :hihi

1 - 20 of 47 Posts