BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

My F11 520d is intermittently displaying a warning that the passenger door is ajar, but is in fact soundly closed. Has anyone experienced this at all? The real bugbear is the interior light remains on and if not switched off will kill the battery.

The door locks fine with both the interior button and the remote fob, so I assume there is a sensor somewhere? A quick google throws up that there is a sensor in the catch on the B pillar but other searches state that it is not. I'm hoping it's not in the door actuator as that will without doubt be £££ (I had the rear boot lid motor replaced last year to the tune of £1k).

Having just spoke to BMW main dealer today they said that it is "not a common fault"... and I understand their lack of commitment, but that has been the default reply for my last three visits.

Any advice or experience or is welcomed.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
944 Posts
Almost certainly the hall effect sensor in the door lock assembly. The older cars (as in pre e46/e39) had micro-switches in the doors, but they moved to hall effect sensors in the late 1990s as far as I know. Assuming I'm right (heroic assumption I will admit), the only way to solve it is to replace the door lock actuator.

No idea about F11s by on my E46 it was about £130 for the unit and about an hour to fit (doable as DIY albeit a bit fiddly and requires the purchase of some bituminous tape to re-seal the door vapour barrier afterwards).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Evog

It's something to look at. I'm fairly positive it'll be that but alas I'm 3500 miles away so yet again... bmw get my sheckles. I'll leave a verdict once the good wife has had it repaired by Snows BMW.

Steve

·
Registered
944 Posts
You could pull the interior light fuses to solve the most irritating symptom as a temporary measure I suppose? That said I think you'd still get the dash warning of door ajar though. And the alarm wont be arming the interior sensors because it will assume the door is open.

Good luck and let us know what it finally costs to resolve - curious to see how the costs are developing on newer models vs the old school ones!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could pull the interior light fuses to solve the most irritating symptom as a temporary measure I suppose? That said I think you'd still get the dash warning of door ajar though. And the alarm wont be arming the interior sensors because it will assume the door is open.

Good luck and let us know what it finally costs to resolve - curious to see how the costs are developing on newer models vs the old school ones!
The wife is just switching off the courtesy light from the button on the module on the light, as long as she doesn't forget it should be ok. The actuator module I'm told is about £150 which is fine. I can't see any reason why it wouldn't take more than 2 hours to complete the work (but then it is bmw we talking about). I will report back.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts