BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just browsing piston heads and seen these. I have mo affiliation with the sellers, but whilst browsing, these cars bought back some fond memories of the great times I had with my 95 E34 M5.

I used to get a nice comfy 15-18mpg out of it, the build is perhaps amongst the very best of the well built BMWs, far superior to others models I have experienced. You get the 4 doors, 340bhp, 6spd g/box and all the usual gadgets you'd expect from a BMW. The cars dynamics are superior and unlike what you could imagine for a 4 door saloon. Its significantly sharper than the 2 E39 M5's owned by relatives and running costs are near enough identical to that of the E36 M3 Evo with fuel and tyres being the main harder hitting items. BMW servicing was, imo, at the time I had mine very reasonable. For the money, I'd personally have one over an M3. This M5 does feel like a pukka race car but the family can come too!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/958413.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/943506.htm

·
Registered
880 Posts
It is a bit, I was getting 21-23 in my E39 and since I'm now in danger of loosing my license its up to 27 mpg - bonus :hihi :rofl
How the hell do you get 27 mpg out of an E39 M5!?!?

If I'm on a long motorway run and trying really hard (60 ish) I get 25. That odd thing is that if I give it more beans then it does not really change much! Around town kills it, but on a run of, say 200 miles, it will pretty much always do 23-25.

Edit :- How much oild do you use? Mine uses next to nothing. Maybe you're getting a couple of mpg out of the oil that you use! ;)

·
Registered
880 Posts
With 9 points I just set the cruise control to 74 ish and just chill out ;)
Actually I think my thermostat is keeping the engine too cool, maybe it's always open a tad. When driving gently the temp is too low (75-76 C) so the engine is probably running rich. When you drive a bit harder it warms up to 79-80 C and then runs with the corect mixture.

:mad I get about 1200 miles per litre
That's actually not 'too' bad for a 2000 (assuming it's not the 2001 MY with the modified piston rings). I've done 4,000 miles since the last oil change and it's still at the full mark on the dip stick.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Actually I think my thermostat is keeping the engine too cool, maybe it's always open a tad. When driving gently the temp is too low (75-76 C) so the engine is probably running rich. When you drive a bit harder it warms up to 79-80 C and then runs with the corect mixture.

That's actually not 'too' bad for a 2000 (assuming it's not the 2001 MY with the modified piston rings). I've done 4,000 miles since the last oil change and it's still at the full mark on the dip stick.
Yeah date of first reg is March 2000 so its probably about right :frown

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 15-18mpg was just modest driving, back in them days fuel economy could nto have been further from my worries. The speedo pic in my avatar was taken whilst playing on the M6. With a heavy foot it used to go down to about 8mpg.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.