BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

The other half decided to get a 320d for her daily commute and I have spent the last few days trying to find a decent example within her budget. I must point out that i have very little mechanical knowledge and so would be looking to do a rac/aa check.

Went to see one yesterday. Advertised as 320d se with 60k on the clock, 53 plate, leather interior for £5000. I thought the price was good so went to have a look at it. Turned up and the mileage was actually 45k. the condition of the car was good with very few marks around the bodywork and the leather was in good condition. Was taken out on a test drive as wasn't insured to drive it and everything seemed to be working fine with no strange sounds or anything else. Put a refundable deposit down with the intention of going back after doing a hpi check and having a good test drive myself.

Car was supplied with 2 mot certificates from 2008 and 2009. I have checked these out on the directgov website and all the details match up on the electronic recording. The date of first registration also matches up. The current owner said he bought it from a family member 2 years ago who had a clear hpi check done on it when he bought it.

Looking through all of its previous mot though and I have noticed a problem. It says that the first service was completed after 3 years by stratstone where the mileage was 98'293. there is then a gap of 18 months before it is mot'd again in 2008 where the mileage reads 35000, as it says on the mot certificate.

Spoke to the owner and he says that he can explain the 18 month gap in that when his family member bought the car 2nd hand he took it to bmw for a part and it came up as stolen. The police were called and impounded the car. It was then given back to him over a year later being told the car was not stolen and that it another car had the same identity.

Now if this was the case it would explain the low mileage over that time but not the first reading at stratstone. I really dont know what to do now and was wondering if there are any checks I can do to try and establish what is going on with this car, eg contact bmw etc

Sorry for the long post but any help would be greatly appriciated as if it is genuine I have managed to get a good deal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Without looking further into it, it could be that the mileometer has gone round the clock but if you smell a rat there is usually an infestation (there is never just one rat!).

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Kev85 walk away mate!!!!

Theres plenty more fish in the sea mate, I took my time buying my 320d and am glad I did! Lets be honest, it would be very rare to find a car of that age with low low milage on, these 320d are traditional buss cars made for doing long miles up and down the motorway!

If indeed the correct milage was that, then 5k would be a steal :eek

Best of luck matey...:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Walk away mate...even if the test drive seemed fine and the seller seemingly genuine, there's too many risky possibilities there. Perhaps it had an engine replacement at some stage? It's too big a risk for £5000. Ring the seller up, don't say you want your deposit back in case he gets funny (although you know where he lives you never know), say you want to come and look at the car again, then tell them why you're not going to be buying the car and get your deposit back. As mentioned, 320d's are very easy to find. Finding a decent example is another thing.

·
Registered
737 Posts
walk away, ive brought a bent car it was 2 years old and cost me absolutly thousands, actually put me off buying nearly new so i get old knackers now, i cant stress enough the hassle this could cause you down the line, now if i look at a car and the slightest thing is iffy i walk away, AGAIN I CANT STRESS ENOUGH THE HASSLE THIS WILL CAUSE YOU, its not like they are a rare breed

·
Registered
400 Posts
try askmid.com will tell you if on insurence data see if it is insured might help. to be honest
i would not bother with so many different things being said about car.
keith

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for all the replies guys. Everything seemed to add up until i saw the previous mileage on the mot database. Alarm bells started to ring then. Will get back to looking then.

Anyone know of a good 320d for sale :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yer as said, plenty about so walk away!

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Cheers for all the replies guys. Everything seemed to add up until i saw the previous mileage on the mot database. Alarm bells started to ring then. Will get back to looking then.

Anyone know of a good 320d for sale :)
And what about your deposit??

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
will be contacting him back about the deposit. It's subject to satisfactory checks and unfortunately there seems to be an issue somewhere. Back to the usual websites to find me another!!!

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
will be contacting him back about the deposit. It's subject to satisfactory checks and unfortunately there seems to be an issue somewhere. Back to the usual websites to find me another!!!
Im sure the right one will come along mate...:cool

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good to hear you've done the sensible thing. Easy to start excusing certain things because you're ruling with your heart rather than your head.. keep looking; the 320D i've got lined up is a little beauty which asn't been advertised so fortunately you won't get to that one before me!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts