BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Hope someone on here can help.

I have a F10 520d 2010 150k miles, for the past month its developed a really bad vibration throughout the car whilst idle and even when idle which you can even feel in the pedals, or rough idle.
I have had the car for 7 years and well maintained and it had its timing chain changed 18 months ago.

So far I have had the glow plugs changed as a precautionary measure,
(Whilst changing the glow plugs I cleaned all the carbon from the EGR valve and the Intake Manifold,
I've changed the engine mounts,
I have checked the injector smoothing in ISTA (see Image),
I have changed the MAF Sensor,
Rectangle Personal computer Font Parallel Screenshot

There is no loss of power no EML light and no fault codes in ISTA.

All the help and suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance.

Regards

Adam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses, would the DMF still be the issue if the vibration is still there when the clutch pedal is pressed.

Also how can I test the EGR valve, when cleaning it i could move it, but is there a way to test it?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
lol the old superglue friction plate to pressure plate alignment trick. Not a fan of just gunning DMF bolts mind I prefer proper torque up.
I have done loads of clutches on the drive over the years,did a focus yesterday as it happens but with a beemer 2.0d my preferred option is whipping the engine out. I find it far less work when on your back than removing heat shields,exhaust,prop etc. hour or so and it’s out,half hour swap over and hour and half back in and running.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a point too, probably will have my work cut out on the drive, just a bit sceptical about the local garages near me so tend do as much as i can myself. Il see whether i can locate a decent garage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HI just an update, I've ordered a new DMF, Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Bearing. Went down to 2 garages to book it in to replace the parts and both garages gave me a different take on things after having a little test drive.
They have come to the conclusion that the engine is running rough and it could be due to issues with the swirl flaps being stuck or the valve controlling them being faulty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Everyone,
Just an update, thanks to everyone on on here i went with your advise and my gut feeling and asked the mech to change the DMF and Clutch. Run better than before, cleaning the intake manifold and egr valve which was completely caked in carbon has really helped. There is a slight hesitation when you pull down a gear and press the accelerator, I'm thinking it could me the MAP sensor on the intake manifold, what's your thoughts?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts