BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about getting a warrenty through warrenty direct, are they worth having.. or any reccomendations ?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
My personal experience is that these warranties are not worth a penny or the paper on which they written. They usually only cover certain items under extreme scnearios, such as brake pads falling out of the calipers :sarcastic

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My personal experience is that these warranties are not worth a penny or the paper on which they written. They usually only cover certain items under extreme scnearios, such as brake pads falling out of the calipers :sarcastic
ok thanks , they certainly talk the talk on the phone , they quoted £34 per month, only things they dont cover are exhausts and brakes , pay 100% labour and 60% parts ... they are sending through paper for me too lokk at , he wanted me to sighn up there and then on the fone , but thought id check on here first .. thanks

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I'm only going from experience and having enough motor trader contacts to have learnt about this.

I bought a car years back with a typical warranty (sounded great). When the car became problematic, the dealer pushed me to the warranty people, who in turn pushed me back to the trader and this cycle went on for days :censored In th e end I ended up paying a normal garage to rectify the fault.

These warranties sound like they cover everything but its only unimagineable failures not wear and tear or faults that are caused by parts that fail simply due to a few miles/age.

Best to inspect a car as well as you can before purchase, sound interested by the warranty, then get a few £££ quid knocked of stating you don't want the warranty.

·
Registered
124 Posts
shnir... this is from a post a few weeks back which I wrote a response to, a bloke had a warranty which they wouldn't honour (a common issue). Be VERY careful about these policies, most are a complete waste of money:-

"Sorry to hear that Tommy... these types of extended warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on. Personally I would advise people never to take one out. I bought my 320d with one already attached to the car, when I read the small print it pretty much excluded everything you could imagine going wrong with the car... it was a complete joke.

Like most schemes of this type, they rarely pay out and will do anything to avoid it. Often they insist a main dealer service every 6 months on the dot. Very expensive and if you miss the dates by even a few days they won't pay out.

If you are lucky enough to get them to accept liability for something, it will only ever cover the ORIGINAL malfunction and no subsequent damage. Have a search on google, there are 100's of cases of this issue. One particually bad one concerned a 320d swallowing it's swirl flaps. The policy didn't cover consequential damage meaning, despite the owner fully servicing and paying high premium every year for his supposedly "extensive" warranty, they offered to pay for the repalcement and repair of the swirl flaps themselves (!!!?!?!?!? SERIOUSLY) but not the new engine and turbo subesquently damaged by the failure. He was offered £350... total repair bill of £4780.

NEVER BUY THESE POLICIES THEY'RE A COMPLETE CON."

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Dont bother mate. Like everyone says, they are not worth the paper they are written on. They will use every excuse in the book not to pay out. A lot of them only pay a minimum labour charge as well. We had a customer the other day whos company would only pay £30 per hour! She had to stump up the rest of the money. £35 per month is over £400 a year! Save the money mate. Least you will have £400 for an emergency. :eek:ptimist

·
Registered
470 Posts
Nearly went with warranty direct myself - then after reading the threads on here and other peoples experiences I thought better of it really - best keep the money aside for the servicing etc..... they appear good on paper but I think they are a complete waste of time and money.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have worked in the motor trade in main dealers for years and have had a lot to do with these sort of companies.

From my own experience these companies try and wriggle out of paying on any single minute detail.

For example, when i have had dealings on the phone with these companies they go as far as trying to put words into your mouth. Such as i will tell them that a clutch has failed due to the springs collapsing, and they will say "so the customer has done this, or that" and as soon as you say "erm" or "maybe" they take it as a yes and bounce the claim. Although on most occasions they will bounce the claim on something trivial like that the customer has done over 90mph so that must be the cause etc.

They also expect a garage to strip down everything, leave it for a week or two until they get an engineer out to inspect the parts. This is not cost effective when it takes up the ramp and time of a tech, when there is no gaurentee you will be paid, so a lot og garages will have nothing to do with them.

Another negative is that most companies will only pay the bare minimum in labour, say £150 for a gearbox removal, strip, diag, rebuild, replace and test. So if you want a proper job in a main dealer you pay the excess labour after £150 or so. Or you go to joe bloggs on the street corner with his young apprentice and no idea how to deal with the warranty claims.

Basically is lose lose for you, so dont bother.

They will either not pay out, pay a minimal fee and you pay the rest, or pay a minimal fee and the job gets done by a monkey.

Please dont become an unsuspecting victim that they prey upon. Ive seen it time and time again when they have promised to pay. Ive stripped something down, they have then bounced the claim and a little old lady has been left with a £1k bill.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to disagree. I have a policy with warranty direct, and although communication is not their strong point (!), I've now needed to claim twice in 18mths, once for the cooling system failing (requiring new water pump, thermostat etc) and the 2nd time for the power steering pump going. The cooling system was classed as 'wear and tear', but paying for the better policy at warranty direct this was covered.
Last year I paid for an annual policy and this year I'm paying mthly - £33p/mth with 3 for 2 mths on the first 3 mths and I can cancel with a mths notice at any time.
I've had my fair share of pay out, both problems being fixed at Sytner BMW main dealer and all labour costs included in the policy (I think it's about £100p/hr) - I do pay more for this to be included, but it's worth it.
For peace of mind and quality of repair / parts if something does go wrong I highly recommend Warranty Direct.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts