BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My e90 325i has been absolutely disgusting since i bought it (with a problem). No faults ever stored (except the occasional DME Mixture control (2A2F 2A2E) on BOTH BANKS, but that's very occasional) and a Cylinder Injection Cutoff ONCE. The car surges and hesitates like crazy, 0-3000 RPM is an absolute rollercoaster, at some points the car pulls like crazy, at some points i press the pedal and it literally decelerates, ALL RANDOM. I've been trying to "record" a pattern for about 3 months now, but it seems to be mostly random, with the only pattern I ended up recording is sometimes the car just ends up refusing to go over a certain RPM around 2000, sometimes its 1800 sometimes its 2300/2400 (DIFFERENT FROM LIMP MODE), which also seems to fix itself RANDOMLY. Also, the car seems to run VERY rich (judging by smoke from the exhaust, oil consumption is about 250ml/1000km so i don't think it's smoking oil, coolant doesn't decrease either).

Today, I decided to unplug the Eccentric Shaft Sensor and try running the car without the whole valvetronic system, letting the throttle body do all the work - and to my surprise, the car seems to run AT LEAST 95% better. So from my modest knowledge, this seems to indicate the core and the heart of the problem being the valvetronic system, so after 3 months of darkness, i FINALLY have a base to build upon.

SO, ON TO THE ACTUAL QUESTION:
Since there are no faults stored for any valvetronic elements, what are all of the elements I need to check / have in mind?
I know about the ESS letting in oil and malfunctioning, I've already planned on cracking the valve cover off and replacing that, since there is a tiny little bit of moisture in the connector of the ESS, so I'm 99% sure that needs replacing. What else could cause the valvetronic system to absolutely spazz out? Valvetronic motor seems to be working from what I see, when I force it to find its end positions in ISTA it rotates and clicks, and then rotates and clicks again, which tells me maybe it's doing what it's supposed to do. What else could be at fault? The eccentric shaft itself maybe??? Engine timing even??? Anything else I'm missing out? I'd really, REALLY appreciate ANY help you guys could give me.
Thank you very much for the time you have decided to spare to help me and have a good day.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have just had the same issue on my 2014 N55 F30. Valvetronic motor making noises but car drove ok. But lumpy idle.

No fault codes or anything. Took local BMW dealer. Motor replaced. Noise gone but rough idle. Full strip down again. Eccentric shaft worn along with camshaft having signs of wear.

I had done approximately 50 miles since the car made the noise. Ended up with a rather costly repair bill.

I'd start off with the simple things before diving deeper into it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my idle is rough as well, sometimes it jitters about at 500/700 rpm really really aggressively, and then shoots up to like 1500, after which it goes back to normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would driving with an incorrectly functioning Valvetronic system damage the shafts? Does anyone know for a certain? Because I have been driving the car like this for over 2000km, and if it is so, then bad f*cking knews for me I guess lol..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts